Highlighted

Rename Links // Indesign

New Here ,
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I have a problem with my links and servers. I want to change my servers, because actual one is to old and do not have enough capazity. Now I have to renew the link, because Indesign couln't find the old Serverlink

All my folders and datas are located/linked to a local server named TeraStation Buffalo - my actual path is 

/TS5400/credo/clients/xxxx/zzzz/yyyy.pdf

The new Server is a Synology DS218+ and the path is

/Syn/credo/clients/xxxx/zzzz/yyyy.pdf

Is there any option to renew ALL links automatically and I do not mean "To connect with new folder". Is there a general option maybe in Preferences? I guess I am not the first one, who wantsw to chance server.

PLEEEEAAAASE help. Thank you

Fanny

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Chad Chelius | Adobe Community Professional

I'm assuming you are referring to Hyperlinks that you've created in InDesign? Now you want to update the server path to all of those hyperlinks to the new server but maintain the path? InDesign doesn't have a feature to do this unfortunately. What you can try though, is saving your InDesign document as a .idml file. This file is technically an .xml file. If you open it up, you should be able to perform a find/change using a text editor and update the path to those hyperlinks. Save the file, then re-open in InDesign. I just did a quick test and this seems to work.

Topics

Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Rename Links // Indesign

New Here ,
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I have a problem with my links and servers. I want to change my servers, because actual one is to old and do not have enough capazity. Now I have to renew the link, because Indesign couln't find the old Serverlink

All my folders and datas are located/linked to a local server named TeraStation Buffalo - my actual path is 

/TS5400/credo/clients/xxxx/zzzz/yyyy.pdf

The new Server is a Synology DS218+ and the path is

/Syn/credo/clients/xxxx/zzzz/yyyy.pdf

Is there any option to renew ALL links automatically and I do not mean "To connect with new folder". Is there a general option maybe in Preferences? I guess I am not the first one, who wantsw to chance server.

PLEEEEAAAASE help. Thank you

Fanny

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Chad Chelius | Adobe Community Professional

I'm assuming you are referring to Hyperlinks that you've created in InDesign? Now you want to update the server path to all of those hyperlinks to the new server but maintain the path? InDesign doesn't have a feature to do this unfortunately. What you can try though, is saving your InDesign document as a .idml file. This file is technically an .xml file. If you open it up, you should be able to perform a find/change using a text editor and update the path to those hyperlinks. Save the file, then re-open in InDesign. I just did a quick test and this seems to work.

Topics

Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 28, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 28, 2020 1
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are referring to graphics, you can relink to another location using the Links panel menu OR package the file and update the links when packaging. 

If hyperlinks, follow Chad's excellent advice.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 28, 2020 1
Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fanny,

look into a script by Kasjan Servetski, scroll down to category Links:

http://kasyan.ho.ua/scripts_by_categories.html

Maybe this one could be the one you need:

http://kasyan.ho.ua/indesign/link/relink.html

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 29, 2020 0
Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or maybe this one:

http://kasyan.ho.ua/indesign/link/restore_paths_of_links.html

Just test the scripts with a duplicate of your document.

Please come back if you found a solution that fits.

And of course if you are into trouble.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 29, 2020 0