Replace Data Source in InDesign Data Merge

New Here ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working in InDesign 16.1 and am merging csv files that I've saved in Text Edit into separate InDesign files that are based on a preformatted InDesign template. One csv file merge went fine, but when I try to import a new csv file into another file based on the same template, I'm unable to replace the Data Source file. It seems "stuck" on the one I originally pulled in. I can "remove" the original data source but it still won't recognize a new one. 

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Paula

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you confirm if

1. you are using the same file to process different csv files and generate different version of the result
  2. you are importing additional data to add to each other and build up to a bigger file

I think InDesign does not like adding csv on top of each other. If it is to replace previous data with new one, I ususally save the source csv file with the same name and refresh the data connection in InDesign 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and thanks for your reply. For context, this is for a catalog I'm working on that has different sections for each product type.

1. I'm extracting product sections from the same master xlxs worksheet and saving them each as a separate csv file before opening them in TextEdit.

2. I'm importing each section of product data into its own InDesign file, which I'll later combine into one file, so, no, I'm not adding each csv into one InDesign file.

So are  you saying I should import one section of csv, I should name the next one with the same name and update the source in DataMerge?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, again.

I'm still having problems with InDesign recognizing my csv file for a Data Merge. It recognizes my former employee's file when I do a test:

CC_CSV_Dog_FW21.png

But when I use the same process that he said he did, Data Merge won't recognize my file in the Data Source window:

PS_CSV_Dog_SS22.png

The source file for both is a master Excel worksheet and after extracting the "Dog" section, I've saved it as a csv and then opened it in TextEdit and have saved it before trying to us it as the Data Source. Here's how my file looks in TextEdit.

Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 8.58.58 AM.png

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

Paula

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines