• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Replace image from CC Libraries (drag and drop method)

Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a template with several images already in it. And I have new images in CC Libraries which I have to use instead of the old ones. However, when I drag them from the Library to the selected box (as I do when importing them from the computer) they are placed as is, in their own new box which is not the same size, nor the same shape as the template one. I noticed I have to right click on the library image and choose Place Linked to place that image in the original box, but somehow, I feel like there should be a drag and drop option as well. Is this a bug or just a missing feature?

TOPICS
Bug , Feature request , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Silly question for you, as I have had this happen, are you trying to drag and drop onto a locked layer?

Sounds silly, if the layer with the image you want to replace is not selected, it will drop the image as a newly placed file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2019 Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it is not a locked layer. I can drag and drop an image from my computer right into that box. But when I drag it from the Library it gets placed in its own full size box. Is this something that only happens to me? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 06, 2019 Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may be due to the library being a link to an image, whereas the drag and drop option is from an image on your computer/server. 

Is the option there to have the library on your computer? Sure the drag and drop option would work, you did mention the relink option was avaiable, not a biggie having to navigate, in theroy once linked the next relink will be from the same folder, so not a hugely time consuming issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just ran into this same problem. I had to laugh about it Adobe has really been pushing the use of librarys which is great. But I think they overlooked this. 

Can you fix this please? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi together,

as coradyne already said:

"…I have to right click on the library image and choose Place Linked to place that image in the original box…"

What should be fixed with this?

Alternatively:

[1] Drag the new image from the library; that will load that image to the cursor, the place-gun.

[2] Hover the loaded place-gun over the graphic frame with the other image.

[3] Press and hold the Alt key.

[4] Click.

Result: The image in the place-gun is placed to the graphic frame that originally held the old image.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that drag-and-drop should work however there are workarounds.

1. With the graphic you want to replace selected, right click on the new graphic in the CC Libraries panel and choose "place link".
  2. Alternatively, with the graphic you want to replace selected, go to the Links panel, and click on the "Relink from from CC Libraries" button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But Chad, drag-and-drop is working.

Ok, I admit it's: drag, release the mouse button, wait a moment and click.

( And don't forget to press the Alt key if you want to replace an image. )

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're right Uwe! I thought the OP had said that it wasn't work. You're right, the alt/option key does the trick!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines