• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Replacing Placeholder Text in Master Page with Final Document Text

New Here ,
Jun 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working through the lessons in InDesign CC 2017 Classroom in a Book. In Lesson 3, we create a master page with a placeholder for a running header. Then, we replace the text that is on the master page with final document text. The instructions are (on page 78):

---------------------------

Replacing placeholder text

1 Select the Type tool (T).  Hold down Shift+Ctrl and then click within the placeholder text frame on page 2 that contains "Placeholder Text". Replace the placeholder text with Egrets and Herons .

--------------------------

I cannot get this to work no matter what I do. When I delete the placeholder text, the text frame is also deleted, and I cannot type in the replacement text. I have tried adding a new text frame, but cannot accomplish this. (The text frame is within another element on the master page, but I am not sure what the element is because the lesson had me place the placeholder element as a part of a much larger element with multiple parts.)

When I hold down Shift+Ctrl, the text tool becomes the pointer tool and does not revert to the text tool when I release Shift+Ctrl.

Now what?

Many thanks, . . .

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017

I teach that lesson at least once a month.

The intention is for you to replace the content of the master page text frames—that currently have [Placeholder Text]—with custom text on your body page spread. This is showing how to override master page frames.

Use the Selection tool when you Control+Shift+Click on the text to copy it forward to the body pages. Then you can switch to the Type tool to replace [Placeholder Text] with Egrets and Herons. Repeat on the facing page, and replace it with Monarc

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1 Select the Type tool (T).  Hold down Shift+Ctrl and then click within the placeholder text frame on page 2 that contains "Placeholder Text". Replace the placeholder text with Egrets and Herons .

The instructions are for overriding the master frame on one of the pages, but it sounds like you are trying to change the text on the master page itself. In that case you wouldn't need to Shift-Control(Command) Click the text frame because you are simply editing the master text. If you wanted to make an exception on one of the pages based on the master, you need to Shift-Control-Click the frame on the page with the exception in order to override and edit it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I teach that lesson at least once a month.

The intention is for you to replace the content of the master page text frames—that currently have [Placeholder Text]—with custom text on your body page spread. This is showing how to override master page frames.

Use the Selection tool when you Control+Shift+Click on the text to copy it forward to the body pages. Then you can switch to the Type tool to replace [Placeholder Text] with Egrets and Herons. Repeat on the facing page, and replace it with Monarch Butterflies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So as I was answering your question, GloriousLeader, I assumed you had just misread it, and then mistyped it. But you found a typo that has been in all 5 of the last InDesign CIB books, and I never noticed! The last time it was correct was the CS5 book! Nice catch. I'll go log it on the Peachpit Errata page.

Any other CIB book questions, come back and ask. A lot of the Adobe Certified Instructors also volunteer here, and we know those exercises like the backs of our hands.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines