• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

reset page to Master Page settings

Contributor ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a document that I inherited from another designer. Many of the master page items have been overridden. I would like to delete the overridden items and replace them with the original master page elements. I can reapply the master page settings but it doesn’t delete overridden items. I thought there was a setting to do this. Please advise.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

I don't have ID open right now, but I believe it's under the pull down menu in Pages panel:

"Remove All Local Overrides".

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor , Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

I don't see anything there. I'm on ID 2020. I feel like it used to be in the Preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have ID open right now, but I believe it's under the pull down menu in Pages panel:

"Remove All Local Overrides".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see anything there. I'm on ID 2020. I feel like it used to be in the Preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry: it's a sub-menu under Pages > Master Pages > Remove Local Overrides

fix.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It also depends on how they did their overrides. If they copy-and-pasted from the master pages, that's not the same as Shift-Command-clicking (mac) on a master object to modify/move it. The latter can be reverted by the above command (or selecting the page and Option-clicking on the Master Page you want to apply)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that works. So, if that option is greyed out, I guess that means that the elements I thought were master page options aren’t really. (Like I said, I inherited the doc from another designer.) Is there a way to set this as the preference for the document or is this something I have to do on each spread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inherited documents are the best, aren't they!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Considering what this document has been throught, I'm pretty impressed with the shape it’s in. I suspect it was built by a very competent designer. Text hasn't wildly reflowed, elements haven't dropped off. I can't recommend Markzware enough. Reasonably priced, extremely helpful sales staff and, best of all, it does the job it promises!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, that totally makes sense. This document was actually converted to ID 2020 from Quark using Q2ID by Markzware.co (which is almost like magic, BTW) but I suspect this is just something that got lost in the translation. Thanks for your help. Have a great day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a two-part process:

1) Delete the master-overriden debris.

2) Go to the Pages panel, and identify the publication page(s) you want to return to the original baseline. From the Master Pages section of the panel, drag down the icons for the master page(s) you want to apply and place them over the document page(s) you want those elements applied to.

Easy Peasy.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Easy peasy, except that it’s a 700 page document. That’s what I'm doing now. I thought that there was a setting that did both on one step. Thanks anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remove Selected Local Overrides should work.

Here my selected spread has both master page objects overriden and moved:

Screen Shot 22.pngScreen Shot 23.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Randy. It turned out to be a bit more complicated. It’s a doc that was translated from Quark and despite how totally excellent the software is, I don't think it recognized the overriden items as master page elements so, I have to use your first suggestion. Fortunately, the client is paying by the hour!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines