Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resizing an object

Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I´m pretty new in the adobe world and I have bumped in to a problem that I can´t solve by myself. 

I want to resize an object by draging the corners, when I have done this earlier i have hold down shift and then dragging to resize proportionally, but for some reason this doesn´t work any more!!

I guess that i have by mistake disturbed some setting but I can´t figure out which one! Can anyone help me? It still works form me in illustrator.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

In my case updating InDesign and reboot helped. 

another problem I bumped in to today was opacity, but in this case restarting InDesign did the trick

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must also hold down the Cmd key (Mac) or the Ctrl key (Windows) to resize the content of the frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you should only have to hold down shift and drag a corner to enlarge an object

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 31, 2023 Aug 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

i'm here EXACTLY because of this: i've always resized holding down shift only, but in the current version (18.5) i've noticed, horrified, that the object becomes deformed, by slightly losing its original proportions. i had to redo a whole brochure because of that, resizing with precision by using SHIFT+COMMAND on mac. so beware of this very tricky thing and adobe please update and kill this annoying bug, if this is a bug; or at least let us know that holding shift in some circumstances deforms the object.

i attach an object resized by holding shift only, to see how it becomes deformed (black) compared to the original (white).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you try command + shift?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I´ve tried that to but it doesn´t work either. Just holding down shift and draging a corner have always done the job before and stil does in illustrator. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of object is it? If it is a single shape, effectively, a single shift drag should be enough. If it is a placed image, you must add Cmd [Mac] or Ctrl [Win]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

to resize proportionally object in illustrator: shift + drag

in indesign : command + shift + drag

If this doesn't work try to trash your indesign preferences:

1. (Windows) Start InDesign, and then press Shift+Ctrl+Alt. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete preference files.
  2. (Mac OS) While pressing Shift+Option+Command+Control, start InDesign. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete preference files)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unfortunatelly that didn´t work either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 
Is it Mac or PC? 
If it is Mac maybe I can help If this is the same problem which has happend to me?

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kristoffer:

We have found the modifier keys stop working after interference from other applications. Usually rebooting your computer and only opening up InDesign solves it. And, once you are aware of the problem, you can identify the offending application. Webroot is a very common culprit.

That said, I'm on a Mac and the Opt key has recently stopped working on occasion. Closing and reopening the InDesign takes care of it, but I haven't nailed down which other application is causing the issue yet.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case updating InDesign and reboot helped. 

another problem I bumped in to today was opacity, but in this case restarting InDesign did the trick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines