• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resizing entire document

Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2011 Feb 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a document that is 24 x 36". There was a recent change and now the size is supposed to be 22 x 28". How do I resize the entire document while resizing all text, masters, and images (appropriately and proportionally)? Can that be done?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

This was simple, fast and worked - How to rescale an InDesign page - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest way is to place the whole document (scaled down) on a new indesign document the right size.  Then you edit the original and save, but to output you open up the new one and update links.  To place it in use this script here.

Theer are other methods but none as quick and requiring as little input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do undertand that the two sizes have completely different shapes and it isn't a matter of just scaling if you want to maintain any sort of reasonable margins, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, it isn't going to work too well is it:

1.png

Inches always throw me...  There is a plugin for resizing that apparently works not too bad, Proscale, but otherwise you're in for a lot of manual work....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2011 Feb 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stix Hart wrote:

Inches always throw me... 

The units are irrelvant. Finding the least common denominator for the dimensions tells you the first one has an aspect ratio of 6:9, the second 11:14. or just divide the height by the width to see how different they are. You can do approximations in your head.

To be more accurate you should actually judge the size of the print area INSIDE the margins since scaling a non-square shape is going to screw up margins that should be equal on top or bottom and sides. That actually is more equivalent to removing the same amount from the dimension in each direction. Going from 24 x 36 to 22 x 28 is removing 2 from the width, but 8 from the height, and that ain't even close.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2011 Feb 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Below is the basic layout. I can adjust margins later on. The image in the middle has bleeds and the bottom 2 text boxes are a master.

I know the image part I need to manually adjust, but I'm trying to figure out how to scale all the text so it's proportional to the new size.

22x28 doc.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mention master objects. How many pages are involved here?

I'll admit to being more obsessive than most people about stuff like this, but I wouldn't personally attempt to scale anything. I'd do the whole freakin' template over again and re-import the text and images, adjusting the styles for the text and cropping for the images as necessary to get it to work and look good. Your frames need to be about 18% wider in the new version, relative to their height, than they are in the existing layout in order to maintain the same approximate relative spacing and margins. That might not look good, but that's a design decision.

If clients change the specs mid-stream they should be prepared to pay the costs to make the project look good with the new specs.Your job is to make the client look good, not shoehorn godd design ito the wrong format. It makes the client look bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a one page document. Very simple, with few character and paragraph styles, a master that has the company brand, etc.

Yes, I know the ratio is completely different, but I was hoping there might be a script or something easier than reworking the entire document.

There are about 40 total documents and manually correcting all of them is going to take some time lol. And that looks like what I'll be doing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could start by making a new blank file, change the page size (enable Layout Adjustment first) then edit the master page to make things look as good as you can there. Save that, then add it and the other files (actually, I'd make copies of all the others and use the copies so you don't overwrite what you have) to a Book, setting the new file as the synchronization source, then synch only the master page and styles if you've edited those. Once synched, your done withthe book and the blank file and they can be deleted. Not you get to fix up the individual files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2017 Jul 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those who come across this issue in the future, here's a nice video on how to do this. It's been several years since this question has been posted, so the tools and options may have advanced in order to solve this problem easily: How to rescale an InDesign page - YouTube

I tried this in InDesign CC 2015 and it worked for me. Have not tried with any other versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

20 Feb 2024, watched the video, works like a charm. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I just go about this differently, but can't you just:

• Create a new document in 22x28"
  • Copy the objects from the old file and paste them into the new
  • Scale down (select all) until your primary dimension fills the height
  • Tweak elements to fill out the remaining width

If it's a simple poster or other layout, why mess with master pages and scaling plugins?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Nov 24, 2017 Nov 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The simplest and most reliable way to scale an entire InDesign document is probably our QuickResize | Id-Extras.com add-on. Not free, but if you seriously need to do this, worth considering...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was simple, fast and worked - How to rescale an InDesign page - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2018 Oct 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are resizing a single piece of art or single page I agree with ianm72282018 above.

If however you have a multi-page document try this:

1. Open Pages and select all the pages you want to resize.

2. Then click on Layout - Liquid Layout - and make sure Liquid Page Rule is set to Scale.

3. Go to Document Setup... and change the Page Size to the new size.

If you are resizing to a different proportion - say 24x36" to 22x28" - well I don't think there is a magic bullet.

Use above technique to get close. For example - try scaling to the 28" height which will give you an 18.667 width.

Then make necessary adjustments to fill out width.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2020 Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2020-10-15 at 11.13.46.png

1. Use the page tool (Shift + P)
  2. Liquid Page Rule: Scale
  3. Tick checkbox: Objects Move with Page
  4. Select pages to scale or Ctrl + A for all
  5. Enter new page size or select from presets
  6. Watch the magic happen 🙂

In my experience, everything scales nicely, except for "Margins and Columns" which don't seem to adjust.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2023 Dec 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File - Document Setup then adjust the document as necessary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines