• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resizing image/frame in InDesign

New Here ,
Apr 12, 2019 Apr 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used Indesign a lot and am pretty proficient in it. Suddenly, after the last update, when I go to resize an image on a page (on Mac) and I do the normal sequence of holding Command + clicking on the corner of the frame + holding Shift to maintain the proportion + dragging to resize - this does not act as expected. It doesn't keep the proportion, it doesn't resize the frame with the image - it just kind of chooses a crop. I tried selecting/deselecting the "auto-fit" button and I've tried selecting/deselecting "content-aware fit" and no change. Of course this has to happen while I'm on a deadline... This is so infuriating. Can anyone help please! TIA

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 14, 2019 Apr 14, 2019

Hi Daria:

Try rebooting the computer and then only open InDesign. Is it working now?

Other applications can interfere with the modifier keys in InDesign.

~Barb

EDIT: here are a few resources on this topic. TL:DR—anti-virus apps, bowsers, and browser extensions are the most likely culprits.

Proportional Scaling Using Shift Button Not Working – Adobe InDesign Feedback

Shift Key Won't Constrain Proportions

Indesign CC: SHIFT KEY NOT WORKING

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
Apr 12, 2019 Apr 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

darial15023470  wrote

Suddenly, after the last update…

Which update? I'm on 14.0.2, and it's working for me. Do you have something newer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2019 Apr 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to try this sequence instead:

1. Click on the edge of the image with the black arrow/selection tool. This should highlight the eight anchor points surrounding the image.
  2. Move your cursor to the corner anchor point you want to use to scale the image.
  3. Hold down the Command+Shift keys (or Control+Shift keys if you're working on a Windows-based computer) then hold down the mouse button and drag to scale proportionately.

I suspect this will get you better, more consistent results than what you're doing now. I know when I cut it close holding down the Command/Control+Shift keys when drag-sizing elements I sometimes lose. It's especially maddening when I'm pushing a job at deadline. Forcing myself to use the sequence above, with deliberate effort and timing, has greatly reduced my stress level. It's worked for me.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2020 Mar 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

still NOT working! March 2020. Still ongoing unfixed, relentless bug. 

Constantly having to restart to fix? (sometimes works, sometimes doesn't) WTH Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daria:

Try rebooting the computer and then only open InDesign. Is it working now?

Other applications can interfere with the modifier keys in InDesign.

~Barb

EDIT: here are a few resources on this topic. TL:DR—anti-virus apps, bowsers, and browser extensions are the most likely culprits.

Proportional Scaling Using Shift Button Not Working – Adobe InDesign Feedback

Shift Key Won't Constrain Proportions

Indesign CC: SHIFT KEY NOT WORKING

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daria,

Some random thoughts:

• Go to Object > Fitting to see if a fitting has been assigned.

• You don’t need the corner handle — a side handle also works. The handle opposite the one you are using is anchored as you resize.

• Confirm that you release the mouse first, then the keyboard shortcuts. (You probably know this one.)

• If you enable Auto-fit, you only need Shift and not Command.

• Look at your fingers and make sure you have the right keys. If it’s cropping, it hasn’t picked up the Command key. Try the one on the other side of the keyboard as well.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Enabling 'Autofit' has fixed the issue for me.

Thanks Daria.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you everyone for the help! I was seriously annoyed with InDesign for a bit there ugh... I closed every program & restarted my computer and somehow the old function of Command+Shift and drag started working again. Hope fully this doesn't start happening all the time. I'll look into what could be interfering though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's doing it to me suddenly today too! Going to restart as worked for you, but how annoying. Fingers crossed it works for me. Is Adobe aware of this and going to fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've restarted, kept all other programs closed, and it's still not working. Any other ideas?? I have a document due tonight and I don't want to recreate from scratch just to resize. Help?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try going to the properties tab of the image and clicking 'Auto-Fit' under Frame Fitting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines