Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

resolution question

Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm creating a 1400x700px InDesign document (an ad) that will ultimately become a 1400x700 pixel print ad at 300 DPI. For some reason, when I export it to PDF, the size of the export is 19.45 x 9.73". I don't know why this is happening, or, more importantly, how to get Indd to create a 1400x700 ad. Can anyone out there help me with this?

Many thanks,

Laura S.

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019
Why are you designing for print using pixels? And FWIW, InDesign sees a pixel as 1/72 of an inch.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Let's be absolutely firm about this. Print ads are not sized in pixels, but in inches or mm. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Pixels are not available as a unit of measure in InDesign. There is an option called pixels but it is not pixels. Pixels have no physical size until you asign a resolution in pixels per inch. Until then the unit is just pixels. InDesign’s pixels are assumed to be 72 PPI and there is no option to change that. This means they cannot legitimately be called pixels. Instead they 1/72 inch each at all times, which is also a point.

When working for peint always use a phsical unit of measure such as i

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you designing for print using pixels? And FWIW, InDesign sees a pixel as 1/72 of an inch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The dimensions were given to me in nice "round" numbers of pixels (1400x700) and not-round numbers of inches (4.91x2.33), so I set up the document with pixels. But if I start out using inches, then everything works perfectly. Many thanks to both of you BobLevine and Derek_Cross!

Laura S.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the final size of the advertisement in inches or mm?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's be absolutely firm about this. Print ads are not sized in pixels, but in inches or mm. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But it means nothing to be given a print size in pixels. If you're given a resolution, however, you can scratch your head, and then calculate the size in inches/mm. Then absolutely forget any talk of pixels. I assume you're delivering a PDF? Or are you delivering an InDesign package?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pixels are not available as a unit of measure in InDesign. There is an option called pixels but it is not pixels. Pixels have no physical size until you asign a resolution in pixels per inch. Until then the unit is just pixels. InDesign’s pixels are assumed to be 72 PPI and there is no option to change that. This means they cannot legitimately be called pixels. Instead they 1/72 inch each at all times, which is also a point.

When working for peint always use a phsical unit of measure such as inches, picas, points, or millimeters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm replying to my own email as a way to say THANK YOU for all of your very helpful responses! Problem solved 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines