• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Restrict InDesign to only use Adobe CC fonts

Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a setting in InDesign that would block a user from using any fonts other than Adobe CC fonts? (ie disable access to the InDesign Fonts folder, to system fonts, to Document Fonts folder, etc.) I need our documents to be totally portable across users and across computers, but people keep accidentally using fonts that only they have access to.

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

No.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Dov. 

For anyone who stumbles on this answer because you have similar concerns, here's what I decided to do:

1) Tell all our users to drop down the font box in ID and click the Cloud filter. That setting is persistent, so it will encourage them to only use cloud fonts from now on.

2) At some point I'll have someone go through all our old material and change every non-cloud font to a cloud font. It will be a long, horrible job, but worth it because we continually revisit old material to update it, etc.

Any suggestions on scripts, etc. that could make this plan work more easily? I'd love to have a clone of ID's "Missing Fonts" pop-up that was instead a "Non-Cloud Fonts" pop-up that would let us easily substitute a cloud font we choose for a specific non-cloud font used in the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Andover_Beacon,

with scripting one could get all used fonts in a document and list them in an array.

One could loop that array and look for the value of property font.location.

With a machine installed font you are usually get a path like this ( as value of location ) :

"C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\MinionPro-Regular.otf"

With a cloud activated font you get a localized string. With my German version of InDesign 2020 on Windows this is: "Aktiviert von Adobe Fonts" This is equal to the non-localized string "$ID/S4SubscribedTypeKitFont".

So now we have the corner stones to do a script that is "constantly" checking for used fonts in the active document.

One could write an eventlistening mechanism that is tied to a so-called idleTask that is monitoring the usage of fonts and their location. The monitoring could be done in an idle moment when InDesign is doing nothing. The script could be done as startup script and will run in the background while InDesign is running.

The user could be alerted if the location of a used font is found that is not "$ID/S4SubscribedTypeKitFont".

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines