• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Return issues in Data Merge

Participant ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having a wierd issue Ive never seen before. I create my text box and start inserting my variables. However when I place a variable and hit return the second line is completely off the page. I checked there is no spacing or leading setup that would cause this. I've tried multiple csvs and it keeps happening. I even tried to do a shift return and it still does it. Any ideas?

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 07, 2020 Nov 07, 2020

It looks from your screen shots like you have entered a break character, not a paragraph return. If you have an extended keyboard, that will happen if you use the enter key on the keypad instead of the return character on the main keyboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using 2020 on a pc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also noticed that no matter how much I type it just keep running of the text box. It doesnt go to the next line

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded to 2021 and the problem persists. I opened the same files on mac running 2020 and everything works as it should. Is there some setting specific to windows that would cause this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 07, 2020 Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should share your file for further inspection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not file dependent. I have made blank documents with test excel files and it does the same on all of them. I thinkt it's got to be a setting somewhere. I was able to make it work like normal on a mac in the office. Here are some screen shots of what I am dealing with.  The first shows me just inserting data merge variables 

example one.png

The second is what happens when I place the cursor between the two variables and hit return. You'll notice the second variable is moved out of the text box as can be seen by the red plus sign in the text box.

example two.png

The third is to show the paragraph style is the "default style"

example three.png

The forth shows that that style as no extra line spacing applied.

example four.png

I've done dozens of datamerge jobs on macs and pcs. Ive never seen anything like this before. Could it be a setting on the computer it's self? This issue only happens with datamerge. When just typing in a text box the return functions normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks from your screen shots like you have entered a break character, not a paragraph return. If you have an extended keyboard, that will happen if you use the enter key on the keypad instead of the return character on the main keyboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How embarrassing. The hazards of keyboards with two keys labeled enter.
Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2020 Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Happens to the best of us! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines