Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rounded corner bug with the paragraph highlights

Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I like working with paragraph styles. I use the paragraph highlights to create a colored block with padding behind the text. This works great! Next, I’ve added rounded corners to the paragraph highlighting. This seems to work. But the results are not consistent.

When the paragraph style is being assigned to a text that fits in the text box, the rounded corners appear at all four corners. But when the paragraph style is being assigned to a text that doesn’t fit in the text box, only the top corners are rounded.

After resizing the text box to fit all text, the corners at the bottom stay straight.

I thought it was a display issue. But the error is also visible in PDF.

Strangely, after saving, closing and reopening the Indesign file the problem is gone and all corners are rounded.

I have added some images to show you the bug.

Can this be resolved?

Kind regards,

Mark

TOPICS
Bug , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 26, 2020 Sep 26, 2020

I've successfully recreated the fault in ID v15.1.2 on a Mac running 10.14.16 English language version.

To recreate the fault, I made a new text box, added the words "This is some text that goes on for miles. let’s see" and gave it a paragraph style that was large in size and had the paragraph shading on with rounded corners. Works fine to start with.

Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 00.09.59.png

But when the size of the text frame is changed, the bottom left and right rounded corners do not remain.

Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 00.11.55.png

I can fix this by turning the para

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version InDesign? There were problems with this 2 versions ago, IIRC

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your response.

I'm always using the latest versions of the Adobe Software.

Kind regards,

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Would you mind sharing version of the OS? Does it happen with a specific document or all?

Have you tried resetting preferences? If not, please follow this help article and try doing that. Let us know if it helps.

*Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and InDesign will launch with default settings. You can also take a backup of the folders in case you want to. Location is mentioned in the article.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ashutosh,

Thank you for your reply.

I'm working on a Mac. The OS is up-to-date. Now version: Catalina 10.15.6.

I have removed all of the preferences and caches (even from older InDesign versions) as you suggested.

After that I created a new document in a clean InDesign.

Unfortunately the results remain the same.

Schermafbeelding 2020-09-25 om 12.05.25.png

For your information: serveral collegues experienced the same problem with the files I created earlier.

Kind regards,

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 26, 2020 Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've successfully recreated the fault in ID v15.1.2 on a Mac running 10.14.16 English language version.

To recreate the fault, I made a new text box, added the words "This is some text that goes on for miles. let’s see" and gave it a paragraph style that was large in size and had the paragraph shading on with rounded corners. Works fine to start with.

Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 00.09.59.png

But when the size of the text frame is changed, the bottom left and right rounded corners do not remain.

Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 00.11.55.png

I can fix this by turning the para style to something else and then clicking back, but that's annoying.

I do have a fix that is really unusual though. Apply a paragraph border that has 0 stroke and no color applied, and the rounded corners remain when the box is resized.

Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 00.13.24.png

In short, it's an odd bug with an even weirder solution.

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Colin,

Thank you for digging deeper and coming up with such a weird solution 😉

This really helps me out!

But I do hope Adobe can fix this bug in the near future.

Kind regards,

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines