Highlighted

Running Header - Delete End Punctuation

New Here ,
Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I want to delete end string something like [integer number] from the running header variable. I used a character style for the characters that I want to delete from the running header. I think it is possible. Probably Delete End Punctuation is the way to do it. Can anyone explain bit how to do it? Here is what I am doing right now 

indg.png

Since Derek did not respond, here is Step by Step procedure:

1. In the A Master page add a text frame.
2. With the text frame active use the following menus: Text > Text Variables > Define...
3. In Text Variables Dialog: Choose Running Header then Edit...
4. In Edit Text Variable Dialog enter the following: Name:[give it a name]; Type: Running Header (Paragraph Style); Style: Heading 2 [name of your paragraph style]; Use: First on Page; Options: check Delete End Punctuation checkbox; Click OK button
5. In Text Variables Dialog (your Text Variable will be highlighted: Click Insert button; then click Done button.
6. Return to document page(s).
Ending punctuation is ignored as are footnotes and ending text with different character styling.

TOPICS
EPUB, How to, Print, Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Running Header - Delete End Punctuation

New Here ,
Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I want to delete end string something like [integer number] from the running header variable. I used a character style for the characters that I want to delete from the running header. I think it is possible. Probably Delete End Punctuation is the way to do it. Can anyone explain bit how to do it? Here is what I am doing right now 

indg.png

2. With the text frame active use the following menus: Text > Text Variables > Define...
4. In Edit Text Variable Dialog enter the following: Name:[give it a name]; Type: Running Header (Paragraph Style); Style: Heading 2 [name of your paragraph style]; Use: First on Page; Options: check Delete End Punctuation checkbox; Click OK button
5. In Text Variables Dialog (your Text Variable will be highlighted: Click Insert button; then click Done button.
Ending punctuation is ignored as are footnotes and ending text with different character styling.

TOPICS
EPUB, How to, Print, Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 30, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can use character style for you running header instead of paragraph style.

In that case apply the character style to the title but of course not to the number in the square brackets

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 31, 2020 1
Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the Edit Text Variable dialogue box to Delete End Punctuation from Running Headers Paragraph Styles.

Screenshot 2020-03-31 at 08.47.21.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 31, 2020 0
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek,

I tried this one and nothing happening as I expected. But I think I have to do anything else if I choose this way to do.  Can you tell me how to make this method use in the right way, please?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 31, 2020 0
Enthusiast ,
Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 31, 2020 0
Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for @ who accepted this solution:

I think the OP didn't insert footnotes but simply text [1] and in that case ticking "Delete End Punctuation checkbox" doesn't help him.

If instead the OP has inserted footnotes in that case doesn't need to tick "Delete End Punctuation checkbox" because in running headers the footnotes don't appear

Regards

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 30, 2020 0