• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

running header refers to previous chapter

Participant ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a simple running head defined on a master page, as reffering to a paragraph style (pic 1)  On page 18-19 it works ok. (pic 2) All of the sudden it starts to indicate previous chapter on page 20 + (text [4] instead of text [5] ) (pic 3) Frames are unthreaded. Can sb direct me what may be wrong here?

p0.jpg

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

It appears that if the frames are not threaded, the instance in the newest frame takes precedence.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few thoughts to help troubleshoot:

• Redraw the screen: Shift + F5
  • Recompose All Stories: Cmd/Ctrl + Option/Alt + /
  • What happens if you add content with a Building Name paragraph on either of those pages?
  • What is the result if you save as IDML and open that file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you know, that's not how it is supposed to work. I can replicate it though, if I thread the frame from my page 4 to 6 (your page 18 to 20). Can you check the frame threads? 

~Barb

x_example.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the answer. As said all of my frames are unthreaded, so they have (i think) no connection to each other.

what I have noticed though, that inDesign thinks that paragraph style on a frame on page 18 (text [4]) FOLLOWS the paragraph on a frame on page 19 . So the frame order is not as the pages order (numbering)

This comes when I did ctrl-f to search for "building name" paragraph style.

But have no idea of whay it is so ? Again frames are separated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what I have noticed though, that inDesign thinks that paragraph style on a frame on page 18 (text [4]) FOLLOWS the paragraph on a frame on page 19.

You can change the stacking order either by dragging the objects in the Layers panel, or using Object > Arrange. Does that make the difference? The stacking order is intitally controlled by the order objects are added to the spread.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I can replicate that too, and changing the stacking order doesn't help. This feature is designed to be used with books and other multi-page docs which have threaded frames. And I have no experience using it without threaded frames. 

The only workaround I could come up with is to thread to an tiny empty frame on your page 20 (see below). Or, more logically, since pages 20–21 appear to be the same section, thread those frames. Or add the heading to to top of the three pages.

Maybe someone else uses this without threaded frames and will have another idea.

~Barb

x_example.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the efforts to help. I have manually swap the frames between pages "forcing" the right sequence. Still no idea what was the reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears that if the frames are not threaded, the instance in the newest frame takes precedence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that is correct . Have just replicated in a new doc and got same results. thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2021 Sep 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I am having similar issues. My Left header is following the chapter title, right header following subchapter (1) However, my text is correctly framed, in the document sequence (2). In the middle of my Methods chapter, the running header describes List of Acronyms (3). I don't see the problem. Tried saving IDML to see if something was corrupted, but this did not fix it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

socroo.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition, I tried deleting the list of acronyms to see if it was a problem of sequence, but then the header changed to "list of figures".. ran out of ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it would be better to start a new thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you then attach your Indesign file for our verification?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply! I unfortunately cannot, it is unpublished research. I will try by starting a new thread then.. but would that not imply on a new numbering for the sections and subsections list? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you could replace the real text with placeholder text and send us the file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

this thread has already a correct answer and because of this perhaps many will not read your post.
For this reason I advised you to open a new thread

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines