Highlighted

Running Header remains on over 1000 document pages after clearing master pages

New Here ,
Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 1000+ page document I inherited to convert to EPUB, and I've removed everything from the Master Pages, yet I have Running Headers that remain at the top of nearly every page, and I want them removed.  I can select & delete them individually, but one could imagine why I wouldn't want to do it that way.  I have no clue how they were placed there to begin with.  Any help would be apreciated.

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Running Header remains on over 1000 document pages after clearing master pages

New Here ,
Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 1000+ page document I inherited to convert to EPUB, and I've removed everything from the Master Pages, yet I have Running Headers that remain at the top of nearly every page, and I want them removed.  I can select & delete them individually, but one could imagine why I wouldn't want to do it that way.  I have no clue how they were placed there to begin with.  Any help would be apreciated.

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 09, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like the running headers were overridden master page items. If they were overridden and you deleted the heads from the master, that wouldn’t remove the heads from the pages—it would just turn them into page items with no link to a master.

If you still have a version before you deleted the heads from the master pages, it should be fairly easy to delete the overridden master page items from the pages via a script.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 09, 2020 0
Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with rob_day that it sounds like the master items have been overridden. 
If you have a single, continuous text flow from the first to the last page, you could copy and paste the content into a new document.

Or, if the overridden master items are on their own layer, just delete that layer.

Or… use Find/Change to delete the text of the overridden headers, then follow up with a script that will remove any empty text frames.
https://indesignsecrets.com/finding-empty-text-frames-in-indesign.php

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 10, 2020 0
Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you just delete the running head variables? 

That would remove the running heads throughout - no? 

Unless those were also overridden.

If so - then maybe a scripter could write a script that finds and deletes text frames at certain locations on each page? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 10, 2020 0
rob day LATEST
Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you do have a copy of the document before you deleted the master page items, a script could loop through the pages and find every running head that has been overridden from that master page item.

Something like this where you select the running head’s text frame on the master page, and the script deletes all of the overridden instances of that MP item in the document, before deleting the master page item.

var mpi = app.selection[0];
var doc = app.documents.item(0);
var api = doc.allPageItems;

for (var j = 0; j < api.length; j++){
    if (api[j].overriddenMasterPageItem == mpi) {
        api[j].remove();
    }; 
};   

mpi.remove();

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 10, 2020 0