• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Same picture be printed in different colour tone in a printed booklet

Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I exported an 'Adobe PDF (print)' file from my Indesign and print my booklet from this pdf. However, strange colour differences emerge between the left page and right page in the same spreads. The left page is always printed in a warmer tone than the right one. Such differences are not visible in the pdf file, and only happened when I print the pdf onto paper. (Image 1,2 - Indesign Export Setting - Export Adobe Pdf (print))

I believe it's lead by settings of my Indesign, instead of the printer. Because it is still very obvious when I compare the different colour tone of one image which spread on two pages but printed on the same piece of paper.(Image 3- printed spread with left page warmer than right, printed on one paper) 

In addition, the problem won't happen when I export an ‘Adobe pdf (interactive)’ file to print. I don't really understand, as the 'Adobe PDF (print)' is supposed to be more accurate and more suitable for printing, not?

It would be much appreciated if anyone can offer some suggestions.

TOPICS
Import and export , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

In addition, the problem won't happen when I export an ‘Adobe pdf (interactive)’ file to print.

Interactive PDFs convert all color to sRGB, so you could try the same with the Print PDF Output tab. It may be that your printer does better with a uniform color space. Try setting Output to this:

Screen Shot 14.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's very odd.

Start by telling us which version of InDesign you are using, and your OS.

My initial reaction is that there is some sort of frame on one side of the master page that has a transparency effect or something similar which interacts with the page content, but I would expect that to show up in the PDF as well, which you say does not happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for getting back. I am using InDesign 15.1.1 x64 and Win 10.

I've checked the master page and there is nothing. It is wired as it is only visible when I print the pdf out as a booklet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition, the problem won't happen when I export an ‘Adobe pdf (interactive)’ file to print.

Interactive PDFs convert all color to sRGB, so you could try the same with the Print PDF Output tab. It may be that your printer does better with a uniform color space. Try setting Output to this:

Screen Shot 14.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2021 May 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Rob. I modified the output setting according to your advice. Then the printed document get back to the right colour now.

I still don't quite understand the differences between these two colour settings, as the CYMK should fit better for printed file, no? But I really appreciate your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2021 May 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

as the CYMK should fit better for printed file, no?

Not if you are printing to a composite printer—almost all composite printers have RGB drivers where the final conversion into the printer’s output space happens in the driver.

Also, the default [High Quality] export preset leaves all color unchanged and does not include a color profile for native CMYK colors. If you are placing CMYK images with no color profile, or your CMYK Policy is set to Preserve Numbers (Ignore Linked Profiles), you would be sending the printer CMYK color with no source profile, in that case the printer can not accurately color manage the output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines