• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving eps file in photoshop 2020 vs 2021 displays rounded corners in typical view

Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I save a file as an eps in photoshop 2020, it displays correctly in Indesign in typical view.

Saving the eps in photoshop 2021, it's rounding the corners in Indesign in the typical view. If I switch over to high quality, it display correctly. Anyone know what's going on? I'd like it to view normally in typical view, but the only way I can figure it out is to use Photoshop 2020. 

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 1.27.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 1.22.16 PM.png

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you save your file as an eps? It's an obsolete format and shouldn't be used anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point. I guess I was just so used to saving it as eps since I've been doing it for so long. Saving to TIFF solves the problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saving as PSD files is even better, in many cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And if there's any text involved, save as PDP (which the file extension for a Photoshop PDF)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why in the world are you saving as EPS from Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm an old foggie. I need people like you to keep me up to date! 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's plenty of reasons to use an .eps file format. In our workflow for example the closer to postscript the better when using variable data imaging. When you need a transparent background you could use a .tiff or a .jpg with a clipping path but we have found the most predictable error-free processing to be using .eps files.     With that said, where did they hide it  (save as Photoshop EPS) in PS 2021??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When creating a new file you now have to click the Save a Copy button in order to get the flattened formats (EPS, JPG, PNG, etc.) included in the list. Prevents accidental flattening of new layered files.

Screen Shot 6.png

Screen Shot 7.png

Are you using InDesign‘s built in Data Merge? It doesn’t have any problems with transpaent .PSDs, and on an Export to PDF the format of the image file doesn’t matter—if you inspect the image in AcrobatPro there would be no indication of what its original format was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it's just the preview isn't it? So hardly an issue. 

I'm in a workflow that demands eps files, and it's simple why it's used - because it takes years to get any change through regulatory. 

Anyway -there are reasons why/why not. 

EPS might be obsolete, but it is still supported by Adobe for archaic workflows. And if Adobe are going to support the file format - then they should support it.

You can report this here 

https://indesign.uservoice.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That being said of course - the advice so far is correct - if you don't need to save as EPS then don't. 

But be aware that PSD and Tiff files inserted to InDesign are rasterised to the native resolution of the Photoshop file.

The only format that supports vector when placed in InDesign from Photoshop is PDF. 

So if you've used vector shapes, masks, or live text layers - then make sure to save as PDF.

Or else your PSD or Tiff file is rasterised on export or output from InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes  indeed! Don't get me wrong; I'm still totally onboard with EPS. In fact I get a bit miffed when people say it's obsolete.

Specifically to Photoshop EPS though... it's not the best available and the reasons for using it in the past are not a current concern. (speaking as guy who remembers DCS, OPI replacements and all the fun things to get files through vintage prepress systems)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it was just in preview. I just found it odd, the exact same file saved in an older version of Photoshop showed correctly, whereas the latest version of photoshop showed rounded corners. It's faster for me to preview the file in typical display and I was just annoyed seeing rounded corners on everything. Since transitioning to TIFF it displays correctly no matter what version or preview setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines