Highlighted

Saving gold text effect and placing in InDesign document title?

New Here ,
Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a very beautiful gold text effect in Photoshiop, via Photoshop Star.com. It is saved as a psd right now. It is one word GOLD in Trajan Pro which is the font I want to use in a title for a book I am setting up with InDesign.

1. How do I save this gold text effect? As a"preset"? but how do I do that?

2. How do I apply the effect then to the title on my book in InDesign? 

3. Do I open photoshop, type the book title in the Trajan font, same size as what I want on my book, and then copy paste onto the page in Indesign where I want it? Or create abox and use "place"

Or is there another way?

Thanks for help!

Mary Wareham

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Laubender | Adobe Community Professional

Hi Mary,

best practice is:

Type your book title in PhotoShop, apply the effect there, save to PSD and save to PDF as well.

Place the PDF so that any vector information or fonts stay vectorized if possible within InDesign.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Topics

How to, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Saving gold text effect and placing in InDesign document title?

New Here ,
Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a very beautiful gold text effect in Photoshiop, via Photoshop Star.com. It is saved as a psd right now. It is one word GOLD in Trajan Pro which is the font I want to use in a title for a book I am setting up with InDesign.

1. How do I save this gold text effect? As a"preset"? but how do I do that?

2. How do I apply the effect then to the title on my book in InDesign? 

3. Do I open photoshop, type the book title in the Trajan font, same size as what I want on my book, and then copy paste onto the page in Indesign where I want it? Or create abox and use "place"

Or is there another way?

Thanks for help!

Mary Wareham

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Laubender | Adobe Community Professional

Hi Mary,

best practice is:

Type your book title in PhotoShop, apply the effect there, save to PSD and save to PDF as well.

Place the PDF so that any vector information or fonts stay vectorized if possible within InDesign.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Topics

How to, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Effects are not transferable between Photoshop and InDesign (and neither between Illustrator; just so you know).

The gold "effect" is only a bitmap effect. The only way to get it into InDesign is to type the actual word in Photoshop and place that as an image.

You can also create a *huge* rectangle entirely filled with this gold effect, and then use it as a background image behind a text mask: https://indesignsecrets.com/three-ways-to-get-an-image-inside-text.php

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Jongware. I did a little reading...is what I have created called a "layer style"? And I think I am supposed to save it in the layers style palette? Then, in Photoshop, type my title in the font and size i want, it will be black, and then apply this layer style to it and it will become gold. Then save it with a name and do a "place" into Indesign. Does that sound right?

Sorry for the excruciating detail, but I am a complete beginner. Lerned quite a lot already, but there's still a LOT MORE I don't know how to do.

thank you, Mary Wareham

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ooh Photoshop questions … I'm much more of an InDesigner, and any complicated graphics are created by a collegaue much better in this stuff. It sounds alright to me so go ahead and try, but if you can't work it out do ask in the Photoshop forum.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The normal practice is to Place your native PSD document in your InDesign document. Providing you haven't flattened the Photoshop file,  you can "round-trip" between the two applications to make further edits.

As it happens a gold effect Trajan font is available within the recent versions of InDesign, it's called Trajan Color Concept. Check it out in the InDesign Font drop-down menu.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, everyone for responses on this. I probably should have typed my actual title to start with, and done the layer effects on it, rather than typing a big word GOLD and working on that. The GOLD word looked great with left side shadow and soft and vivid highlights. But when I tried to either apply it to a separate psd canvas, or to type my title right underneath the GOLD word in photoshop, it did not look the same. It appeared a soft gold but lacking the shadow or highlights.

Maybe all the layers and adjustments need to be flattened before I apply it to my title. But I will probably just start over in photoshop with my full title and work on it from the beginning. It's a really beautiful gold text effect imho. For my purposes. Arindram Bhaduri on Photoshopstar.com

Thank you, Mary Wareham

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest you post your question about creating gold effects on lettering in Photoshop in the Photoshop forum.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mary,

best practice is:

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what your gold effect looks like so I'm not sure this would work, but you may be able to replicate the effect in InDesign using Object > Effects. Otherwise, place the Photoshop file into InDesign as others are suggesting.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines