• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scale document uniformly including margins

Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got an InDesign document with a number of different layouts where each layout comes with a variety of elements (text, images, logo, background). In addition, each layout has custom margins.

I would like to scale this document uniformly from, say, DIN A4 portrait to DIN A3 portrait. The original looks something like in image 1. When I use File > Adjust layout and tick all boxes (i.e. Margins auto-adjust, Options, etc) then I get a result as in image 2, which is not usable. Is there anything wrong with my file that the elements get so distorted?

Option 2, when I use the page tool and Liquid page rule > Scale, the result is almost perfect. Only the margins do not scale in proportion, but rather as a distance from the edge. Which makes sense for most documents, but in this case it doesn't work. Is there a way to scale the margins in the same proportion as the content?

TOPICS
How to , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

If you're finding that Liquid Layout > Scale isn't quite giving you perfect results, you may want to check out my (not free) add-on, https://www.id-extras.com/products/quickresize/

It offers much better and more robust proportional document scaling than InDesign's built-in options.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set your margins in  File > document setup or in Layout > Margins and Columns when on the master page. The scale for A3 to A4 is 71%

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply, Mike! I know how to change them manually, but I have a large number of different custom margins and was wondering if I can scale them automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're finding that Liquid Layout > Scale isn't quite giving you perfect results, you may want to check out my (not free) add-on, https://www.id-extras.com/products/quickresize/

It offers much better and more robust proportional document scaling than InDesign's built-in options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I'll check out the trial, to see if this solves it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

QuickResize is a dream come true for this kind of problem. Well worth the price.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines