Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scaling a photo numerically

Participant ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've encountered an annoying problem I'm sure wasn't there a while ago. I know how to scale a photo using the tools, but what about numerically? Using the top bar menu width and height, if I want to reduce an image from say 10 cm to 5cm, even with the proportions locked it reduces the size of the frame, and not the image, which is then just cropped. How do I get both the frame and the image to scale together numerically?

For instance, I could drop an image on a page, and want it precisely the same size as one already on there. I look up its width and then want to apply that same width to the new photo. But even with proportions constrained it will only alter the frame. This doesn't make sense to me.

I need to temporarily disable the frame, but the only way I've found to do that is to go to object>select>content. Then numerical scaling does work but I don't even recognise the keyboard shortcut for this. What is that three-quarter circle with the upward arrow pointing left? 

Does anyone know the answer? Any easy shortcut?

Many thanks.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

People's Champ , Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

The trick is to type the numerical dimension in the % scale field rather than the measurement field in the Control Panel.

So if you want to scale to 5cm exactly, type "5cm" (without the quotes of course) in the % field!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Hi Steve,

select the frame that is holding the image.

Do your scaling where you usually input percentage values.

Lock width x height.

If you want to scale the width of the frame ( and the image within ) to e.g. 10 cm simply input exactly that value 10 cm instead of a percentage value.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The trick is to type the numerical dimension in the % scale field rather than the measurement field in the Control Panel.

So if you want to scale to 5cm exactly, type "5cm" (without the quotes of course) in the % field!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's it! Fixed! I would never have guessed that. Many thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

select the frame that is holding the image.

Do your scaling where you usually input percentage values.

Lock width x height.

If you want to scale the width of the frame ( and the image within ) to e.g. 10 cm simply input exactly that value 10 cm instead of a percentage value.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Uwe, it works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines