Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

scaling an image in indesign

Contributor ,
Sep 01, 2010 Sep 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello forumers.

is there a way yo scale up and down an image/picture/photo in indesign just like in ps or illustrator?im getting confused with the indesign way of doing it.

thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 01, 2010 Sep 01, 2010

That's what I do as well, as (for CS4 and up) smart guides will help you by snapping to 'common' widths such as a text frame's, or another image.

Eliding on Bob: rather than Shift, in InDesign it's drag with Ctrl/Cmd that scales. Add Shift to preserve its original width/height ratio (that's a shared function for all drawing tools in InDesign).

An image is sort of a special case, because the default is to resize its frame -- without affecting the image (something I'm dearly missing in Illustrator!)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you doing it, then?

There are several different ways, including (but not limited to) some mouse-and-keyboard coordination, typing in values in the control panel or in the Scale percentage dialog, and using the scale tool directly. I always thought there was enough choice to satisfy anyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i prefer to use the mouse and hold a down the  shift key like in ps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change your tool to Direct Selection Tool (A), click on image and you can scale/move/rotate. Also, you can double click on image frame to get to the image, or use Content Grabber (CS5) for fastest way to manipulate placed image.

--

tomaxxi

http://indisnip.wordpress.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're using CS5 enable auto fit or use the cmd/ctrl key in combination with the shift key.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I do as well, as (for CS4 and up) smart guides will help you by snapping to 'common' widths such as a text frame's, or another image.

Eliding on Bob: rather than Shift, in InDesign it's drag with Ctrl/Cmd that scales. Add Shift to preserve its original width/height ratio (that's a shared function for all drawing tools in InDesign).

An image is sort of a special case, because the default is to resize its frame -- without affecting the image (something I'm dearly missing in Illustrator!). Clicking the image with the white arrow selects the inner stuff -- the actual image --, so you can scale and drag that around in its bounding box (the aforementioned frame). Usually, one doesn't want to move/scale them independently, and that's what Cmd/Ctrl plus Shift + drag is for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 22, 2011 Feb 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much, Bob. I've read my directions ten times and just made that Command/Ctrl key connection with Shift. Your way works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines