• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Script to create multiple Text frames

New Here ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to speed up the page design process for a newspaper with very limited resources.

we need a script that will make patterned text and convert it to fully designed and styled frames.

The objective is :

1. copy the text from web bowser (internal workflow).

2. In indesign :

-creat title frame + 2 linked frames under the title.

- past the first paragraph into the title frame with specific style

- paste the rest of the text into the 2 linked frames uder the title frame and apply a diffent style.

3. The designers will then finish the design by pacing the created frames in the final position.

I have no experience in scripting and have reached the limit of what i can do with styles in indesign.

This will help greatly to reduce time spent on designing a newspaper page.the script can then be adopted to make other scripts for single column stories or multiple column stories..

I'm very greatful for any volunteers who help with this.

TOPICS
Print , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi saintv,

look into this script for InDesign by Timothy Ariel Walden:

https://www.id-extras.com/html-import-script-updated/

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, this solved number 1...

Regards

Bashraheel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not use Library items and proper application of Next Style? We used Library items all the time in my newspaper days. We would have different configurations based on column count, headline width, subhed or no subhed, image or no image, etc. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Saintv,

you said: "…3. The designers will then finish the design by pacing the created frames in the final position."

If this is a fixed position on a page you could prepare text frames with the exact position, also with applied paragraph styles. Then store them as snippet files (*.idms) or as assets for InDesign library files (*.indl) or store them in CC Library.

The position of the frames will be maintained if you place the snippet files or the assets from a library file.

It only needs a binding script that will place the assets and fill them with the appropriate contents.

You could contact Timothy Ariel Walden to expand the script you are like to use for step one.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines