• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scripting

Enthusiast ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all! I've never done InDesign scripting before, but I've been asked by my employer to learn about it to see if we can use it report building. They sent me a PDF guide (created by Adobe) on learning how to create scripts in InDesign... but it's for CS6. And I'm on the Creative Cloud now. So my question is... is it basically the same process? Or is there a newer guide I can use to help me learn this? Thank you! 

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Much of it is the same, and reading the Guide (and reviewing the sample code) will be helpful. This is a much more user-friendly and interactive API reference guide when you're ready to delve into the DOM: https://www.indesignjs.de/extendscriptAPI/indesign-latest/#about.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not to take away from your scripting learning experience, but can you give more information about your report building needs? Is it data driven?

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creamer Training... yes, I've already created the reports... and they are mostly tables of data. So we were thinking it made sense to have scripts to make it more effecient (and to remove the human error factor!). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can link to Excel files using Table and Cell styles. If the Excel file updates, you can update in InDesign file.

Another option is look in to Em Software WordsFlow (works with Excel too) that allows two-way editing.

If it is a database file that needs conditional statements, Em Software makes the InData plugin too.

It's hard to make a recommendation without know what the document looks like and what the incoming data looks like.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So after reading through the guide, I realized this is WAY beyond what I know how to do. So I asked for clarification, and it seems they don't expect me to create the scripts (phew). I just need to know how to utililize them. So I will post back here if I have more questions (I'm sure I will). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines