Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Search Font Size in InDesign

Explorer ,
Jul 25, 2020 Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I work with documents containing varying font sizes with a stipulation that the final document should have not any font size of less than 10pt. Even after defining for Paragraph & Character Styles with requisit properties, a few of the overrides remain having a font size of less than 10pt.

Is there any way to search through the entire document for varying font sizes through a script? Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,

Aman

TOPICS
How to , Scripting , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 25, 2020 Jul 25, 2020

You can't do relative searches ("less than 10 pts") or negative searches ("not 10 pts"), only fixed sizes ("10pts"). There some feature requests for negative searches, I added one for relative searches and consolidated (tried to) the existing requests. Head ove to UserVoice and vote!

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/40994812-enable-relative-searches-e-g-point-size-more-th

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Aman,

You could use the find change dialog to find text with a particular font size like say 10 points, use the Find Format option and select the font size as the search criteria. However this shall not meet your needs if you have a condition like less than or greater than 10. If the issue is with overrrides, how about using the style highlighter button on the style palette, this will highlight all the text that has style overrrides, now you can go ahead and fix each of them with proper style

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Manan,

Thank you for taking out the time, and replying to the thread. You are right on using Styles and Highlighter. However, upon working on a long document , sometimes, you miss something here or there. So, in order to make the workflow easier, and with less errors, I have been looking for a workaround for the issue. 

I tried with Preflight Panel by defining Minimum Type size to look for errors. Since, this option also takes into account Superscipt, Subsscript character, it results in a pretty long list of errors which is again, a time-consuming task.

I was just thinking if there was a workaround for this just like "Find Font" or else, if through some way I could atleast find out all the differing Font Sizes as a list then, I coud just search them through "Find/Change".

Thanks for the help!

Regards,

Aman  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't do relative searches ("less than 10 pts") or negative searches ("not 10 pts"), only fixed sizes ("10pts"). There some feature requests for negative searches, I added one for relative searches and consolidated (tried to) the existing requests. Head ove to UserVoice and vote!

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/40994812-en...

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Kahrel Sir,

Thank you for the info! Just voted for the request. 

However, I would be gratefule if you could shed light on the following query:

Is it possible to atleast populate the number of font sizes applied in the document through scripting? This can help in makring the workflow faster as it will allow to go for exact searches.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Aman 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

voted!

To Aman:

There is another case you should also look into:
If text is scaled! Scaled because the text frame was scaled and/or scaled because text properties horizontalScale and verticalScale were used with less than 100%.

Therefore I think, you can only detect point sizes less than 10pt reliably with Acrobat Pro's Preflight feature.

Also stroke weights less than a given value. So in the end you should also do the preflight work on an exported PDF.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Uwe,

Thank you for the reply! You pointed it rightly about the Text Frame Scaling. However, I regret to inform that it is not the case, here. I am speaking about a general issue. If you place a document which has been created by someone else, and then you have to work upon such a document in InDesign, as per your own workflow.

As I said earlier, I tried Preflight Feature of "Minimum Type" with a defined point size to look for errors. However, it also undertook Subscript and Superscript, and other related phenomenon in the errors section.

One can search for differing font sizes - 6, 6.5, 7, 7.5 and, so on and so forth. This results in a range of critieria. So, if we atleast able to figure out all the font sizes used in the document, then, we can filter out the ones which we don't want in our workflow.

Regards,

Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines