• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Setting a style/template for textboxes in book function

Participant ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 2 layouts for textboxes that I am using throughout my book (using the book function) - see example below. I have been copying the boxes around each time I needed a new one, but now I'd like to do this properly so that I can update the layout of these in one place and sync the chapters.

A) Should I use an object style or the object library?
B) Can I save a style/template from an existing textbox or do I need to start from scratch?

Example of a textbox I'd like to standardize:

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can set an object style that uses paragraph styles.  

By setting it up as Style >Next Style, you can format the whole thing at once. For this the work, the text in the blue box needs to flow with the rest - not in a separate text box.  You can use Paragraph Shading on that paragraph to create the box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't been able to figure out exactly what you mean here and can't find "Style >Next Style".
Are you suggesting applying the object style to the entire text frame? I'm using a text frame that runs all the way through the chapter.

I can't see from your example how you get the box to appear in the middle of the page - it looks like you are selecting the box for the entire page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found "Style >Next Style" and now have something that seems to be working. I'm not sure how the object style is applying the background color since I did not specify it, but it seems to have been added from one of the existing boxes (I must have overlooked something obvious here).

I have previously added paragraph styles to the other chapters by copying in text with the respective styles attached. Could I sync this new object style to the other chapters in a less manual way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the settings for the object style it is seemingly only possible to add spacing below the object and not above it when having it set to Inline.
So it seems the best option to add spacing above and below is to set it to "Above Line" and then center adjust it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need to set the object as Inline. Instead, have that text flow with the rest inside the box, and use a combination of paragraph spacing and paragraph shading. 

Take a look at how the styles in the attached file are set up. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My solution here was to draw a new rectangle each time and then apply the object style (linked with a paragraph style) to the box.

I realize now that you meant to not use boxes at all. 

I'm not sure I understand why you mentioned object styles in your first reply - did you just suggest it as a possible solution if I preferred to draw boxes manually?

If I do it the way you show here there is no need to use an object style at all, is that correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I have something that looks good and seems to be very close to your solution. Thanks a lot for your inputs - seeing the file from you really helped me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The method I suggested uses an object style combined with the Next Style feature. 

If the boxes are not necessary to your layout, then you could set up next style to do all of the text at once, if you set the last style to refer back to the first one. 

Did you look at the recording and the Indd doc that I attached?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, of course. I had your file on one screen while trying to set up my solution on the other screen. It looked to me like the object style was not active in your document, but I'm not very experienced with Indesign as you can tell.

These graphics occur just a few times and with no clear pattern so I don't think it's relevant here to try to do it all at once, I'll just apply it where necessary and it looks good now.

The object style solution might be relevant for me with the 2nd type of graphic for longer text paragraphs that need to get attention with a colored box. 

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines