Highlighted

Setting Table default settings

Explorer ,
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to adjust default settings for Tables? For exemple, when I create a new table, I want to have a specific default row height, width, cell insets, etc.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Mike Witherell | Adobe Community Professional

No. But have you considered:

Pre-building some tables in a donor document. Work out all your favorite settings. Then, when you need it, just copy n paste a whole dressed table into your document.

Also, have you considered dressing your tables with Table Styles and Cell Styles? Pre-building styles becomes useful later on. Styles can be imported from one document into another. Styles can record everything except physical height and width.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Setting Table default settings

Explorer ,
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to adjust default settings for Tables? For exemple, when I create a new table, I want to have a specific default row height, width, cell insets, etc.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Mike Witherell | Adobe Community Professional

Pre-building some tables in a donor document. Work out all your favorite settings. Then, when you need it, just copy n paste a whole dressed table into your document.

Also, have you considered dressing your tables with Table Styles and Cell Styles? Pre-building styles becomes useful later on. Styles can be imported from one document into another. Styles can record everything except physical height and width.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 15, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike Witherell

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 15, 2020 1
Explorer ,
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mike. But here's the situation. I'm actually importing Excel tables which stay linked to the original Excel file. Once I import the table, I change all the settings to make it look nice, specially the row and column height and width and of course the cell insets. The problem occurs when I make a change in the Excel file. The table in inDesign is automatically updated, which is good, but I loose all those settings. I have to adjust al those setting over again. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 15, 2020 1
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you using cells styles?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 15, 2020 0
Explorer ,
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Table and Cell styles do the trick. Did not think of that.

Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 15, 2020 0
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They do *most* of the trick, anyways.

Mike Witherell

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 15, 2020 0