Highlighted

Setting up page numbers warning message

Contributor ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm adding page numbers (Next Page Numbers) to a 24 page booklet (with spreads), I'm then right-clicking on the page that I want to start the page numbers from on the Pages tab, I then deselect 'Allow Document Pages To Shuffle' and 'Allow Selected Spread to Shuffle', then 'Start Page Numbering' at number 1 but when I click on 'OK' I get this message, I can't seem to get rid of it, can anyone help please, I don't want to set my document up incorrectly? 

Screenshot 2020-06-11 at 14.51.04.pngScreenshot 2020-06-11 at 15.27.42.png

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Barb Binder | Adobe Community Professional

Unchecking the shuffle commands will allow you to drag pages or spreads to specific positions. Here is a demo of how achieve non-traditional page numbering.

shuffle4.gif

~Barb

TOPICS
How to, Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Setting up page numbers warning message

Contributor ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm adding page numbers (Next Page Numbers) to a 24 page booklet (with spreads), I'm then right-clicking on the page that I want to start the page numbers from on the Pages tab, I then deselect 'Allow Document Pages To Shuffle' and 'Allow Selected Spread to Shuffle', then 'Start Page Numbering' at number 1 but when I click on 'OK' I get this message, I can't seem to get rid of it, can anyone help please, I don't want to set my document up incorrectly? 

Screenshot 2020-06-11 at 14.51.04.pngScreenshot 2020-06-11 at 15.27.42.png

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Barb Binder | Adobe Community Professional

Unchecking the shuffle commands will allow you to drag pages or spreads to specific positions. Here is a demo of how achieve non-traditional page numbering.

shuffle4.gif

~Barb

TOPICS
How to, Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 11, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it seems you already set up page numbering on other pages. that is why you get that dialog.

where did you set it up? show us a screenshot of the master pages, we need to see where the little triangle above a page is. that is the marker for where the section is set up right now

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2020 1
Contributor ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Here is a screenshot of my master pages. I'm not sure what you mean when you say 'where did you set it up?'

Screenshot 2020-06-11 at 16.23.30.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2020 0
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no problem. i will explain.

look at the pages panel i have below, see the triangle icon on top some pages? ( page 2 and 4):

Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 1.17.13 PM.png

for page 2, if i double click on the triabgle and i get a dialog, i created a section and i set it up to count in roman numbers:

Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 1.17.23 PM.png

than, i created another section and that one is numbers:

Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 1.17.33 PM.png

so, look in your pages panel, and see where you have those markers. lets start there.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2020 1
Contributor ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much, really appreciate your help. So I have arrows on Page 1 and 2, here are my screen snaps of when I double click on both...

Screenshot 2020-06-11 at 20.03.44.pngScreenshot 2020-06-11 at 20.06.05.png 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2020 0
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dbl click page 2 again (2nd screen shot) and disable Start new section. Then double-click the hyphen btwn pages 2-3 in the Pages panel and check Allow Selected Spread to Shuffle in the Pages panel menu.

~Barb 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2020 1
Contributor ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. When you say disable 'Start New Section' do I do that by clicking on 'Select Automatic Page' numbering instead? 

I have done that and I have clicked on the hyphen between pages 2-3 etc. but I had wanted the number 1 to start on page number two as the first page will be a front cover. I have attached a screenshot...

Have I taken that away by turning 'Allow Selected Spread to Shuffle' on as page two was showing as Page 1 at the bottom of the page? This is so confusing, I don't really understand what the two options 'Allow Document Pages To Shuffle' and 'Allow Selected Spread To Shuffle' do?

Also, the brackets that were either side of '2-3' have gone, is that a good sign, what does that symbolise? 

Screenshot 2020-06-11 at 20.45.32.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2020 0
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had wanted the number 1 to start on page number two as the first page will be a front cover. 

Ah. That is what's going on. I didn't understand that from the original question.

In print publishing, right pages are always odd pages and left pages are always even—so you are going against the grain. If you want too pursue it, change 1 to i and then shuffle the pages and set page 2 to 1, but I would advise against it. Instead, I would recommend hiding the page number on the cover and allowing the next page to start on 2, or adding a blank left page (ii) and designating the third page as page 1.

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2020 0
Contributor ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's going to be a company's annual report it's not a book and I need page 1 to start after the front cover, when I've seen You Tube videos showing me how to start any page numbering from any page, when that error message comes up the vloggers just ignore it. If I go to professional repro with a PDF surely the pages will be in the order I can see on screen?

Could you just summarise what 'Allow Document Pages To Shuffle' and 'Allow Selected Spread To Shuffle' actually do please as I can't find it anywhere and its confusing?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2020 0
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

shuffle4.gif

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2020 2
Contributor ,
Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much Barb, I will give that a try now. 

So, just to confirm, if the shuffle options are turned off I can move pages and/or spreads and the page numbering will be in my control and not automatically done by InDesign?

Also, I can't find the answer anywhere online to this, people in (page numbering) tutorials say to insert 'Current Page Number' and not 'Next Page Number', can you explain briefly the difference in these two options please, and maybe which I should choose? When I do a little test, both options recognise the next page and show the page numbers in page number order so I can't see the difference in selecting one instead of the other. Thanks so much. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 12, 2020 1
Contributor ,
Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, your video doesn't show me how you have got the Cover page to sit alone and then placed a spread to the right of it (sorry have just seen your most recent post) I deselected the shuffle options but I still couldn't move any pages as per your video.

InDesign won't seem to allow me to change the format of - first single page then spreads below it which InDesign defaults to. 

Also, you don't say when I should add the page numbers, is this before I do the procedure above that you have demonstrated or after (and do I do it with the shuffle options ticked on or off, do the shuffle options interfere with the page numbers please?). 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 12, 2020 0
Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MissSparkles75,

Next Page number and Previous Page number are special characters that are working very differently to the Current Page Auto Number. They only show the next or the previous page when used with threaded text frames that continue from page to page. And they show the page numbers where the previous text frame and the next text frame is placed on. Could be the previous page or the next page of your current page text frame or an entirely different page in your document.

Just to give you an example where I used special character for Next Page on page 201.

You'd perhaps expect that "202" will be automatically inserted, but this is not the case, because the next frame of that story continues on page 203. So Next Page means "203" in that case:

NextPageSample-1.PNG

And if you do Next Page or Previous Page with a stand-alone text frame that is not threaded, the name or number of the current page is used.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 12, 2020 0
Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"It's going to be a company's annual report it's not a book and I need page 1 to start after the front cover"

A printed publication like an annual report is a book. Odd numbers are correctly done as right-hand pages. That is why you do not number the left-hand inside cover as page 1. It's simply incorrect according to a thousand or more years of conventional practice.

Mike Witherell

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 12, 2020 0
Contributor ,
Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thank you, Barb had explained this perfectly clearly in a previous post. I am just trying to establish how I get a cover page with no number and start from page 1 without the error message, I am attempting to do this as accurately as I can for the print house. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 12, 2020 0