Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shadow to a single word into a texbox

Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello to all,
I am strugling in adding a shadow just to a single word into a texbox. I just need a shadow for some random words, not the entire objetc. I can not find "shadow" at character style tab
Thanks to all

word shadow.jpg

[ attachment inserted as inline image by moderator ]

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Hmm! …

Just For Comment:

Imagine you take time to create char styles [in my sample: "Blue", "Red" and "Green"] and object styles using a same name but with different effects (you defined)!

Capture d’écran 2021-01-27 à 21.39.19.png

… You will just need 1 click!

Capture d’écran 2021-01-27 à 21.39.46.png

If the layout moves, play the script again!

Capture d’écran 2021-01-27 à 21.46.47.png

Sure it's simplistic! … but the text remains totally editable!

Capture d’écran 2021-01-27 à 21.52.50.png

(^/)  The Jedi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi sdad5C95,

it's either all text in one text frame or none.

The possible workarounds:

[1] Move the words you want to assign the drop shadow to their own own text frames and anchor the frames to the text.

[2] Convert the words to outline paths and assign the drop shadow to the outline paths.

[3] Have two text frames with the exact same contents stacked.

Apply the drop shadow to the text in one frame. All texts that should be without drop shadow should be filled with color [None]. Do the opposite in the other frame without the drop shadow. Fill all words where drop shadows are visible in the other text frame with color [None].

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Uwe for your tip. For a grapic design profile it´s okay, but this is a text book I am working on, and there are several places all over a huge text where I need to apply this shadow.  Indeedd I have explore the options you give me, but its not operative. I just cannot understand why there is not a shadow effect onto the character style tab? ´:´)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use frame with that word (do outline), with applied shadow and paste into as inline object.

https://www.linkedin.com/learning/indesign-secrets/080-adding-a-drop-shadow-to-a-single-word-inside-...

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot do that because its a text book. I cannot put objets as if they were words, the normal and logical way would be to be able to aply a shadow to a single word.

I have even thought about using a font editor to add a shadow by myself and then change the type at ID...

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm! …

Just For Comment:

Imagine you take time to create char styles [in my sample: "Blue", "Red" and "Green"] and object styles using a same name but with different effects (you defined)!

Capture d’écran 2021-01-27 à 21.39.19.png

… You will just need 1 click!

Capture d’écran 2021-01-27 à 21.39.46.png

If the layout moves, play the script again!

Capture d’écran 2021-01-27 à 21.46.47.png

Sure it's simplistic! … but the text remains totally editable!

Capture d’écran 2021-01-27 à 21.52.50.png

(^/)  The Jedi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OH wow that is awesome!

Could you please be so kind to gimme more info about how to do that? I have created the character and object style but I don´t understand how to run it

THANKS a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I mention: “Just For Comment”, I clearly indicate I’ve imagined a way to do something but not for free! So this script is a (low price) paid script.

What does it do? After having created the right char style and applied it and after having created its corresponding “effect” object style, the user just needs to run the script: it “outlines” the text using the char style and — the key — anchors this “outlined” as personalized anchored item as the beginning of the corresponding text (see the “anchoring” icon in the “editor” window of my last screenshot).

The script could include a Palette UI allowing to make the “effects” visible or not and could allow the user to add other text after not destoying the treatments already done (that will make the tool more relevant and faster!).

Feel totally free to PM me if interested!

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh ok sorry I did not understand its no prob at all. Anyway, if the text is outlined, then it will not be "visible" or "readable" as a word in InDesign or Acrobat.

Please let me talk to a partner and I´ll let you know if this is a suitable fix

Thanks a lot for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As already said, the text “remains” readable in ID and Acrobat! The script just adds the effect to the text!  😉

Anchoring the effect item inside the text, if you add, e.g., a new para above, the layout moves ... but the “effects” too!  Simple and cool!

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

okok I see.

allright thanks Ill PM to you 🙂

Thanks a lot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines