• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Share InDesign documents for review

New Here ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can add comments but can't make notes on designs i shared?

Updt:

I mean, i can add notes, but can't make marks. (Only unmapped) — theres message „Comments in this section do not map to any views in the content.“

Screenshot 2020-07-06 at 19.42.22.png

TOPICS
How to , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

"And how do I update the file to 2020 with out redoing the whole thing?"

Hi Kirsten,

did you try an IDML roundtrip?

When in InDesign 2020: Save to IDML.

Open the IDML file with the same InDesign version and save to a new name.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be correct. For a couple of reasons:

1. Like Acrobat PDF comments, you're essentially applying comments on a layer over the original document, rather than making edits on the document itself. As the name implies, it's a review process for commenting on an existing document, rather than an editing process for changing/altering the existing document.
  2. The Notes function within InDesign, much as it is in word processing programs like Microsoft Word, is intrinsic to the copy in the document, much like "invisible characters" in the document, rather than discrete elements separated from the document. So when the document is posted for review, you are separated from those intrisic elements. You can put something over the top of the document, but you cannot put anything into the document.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello you can use the shape tool to write a note. Maybe not the best, but it can be a solution.

Capture d'écran 2020-07-06 16.21.20.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm actually having this issue too. To expand, I think the OP is not asking about editing the document. They are making reference to the annotation tools (the pen and pin tools). When you drop these onto the document and write a comment. The comment is recorded but the pin or pen marking disappears. The comment is then recorded into a 'Unmapped Comments' section which does not relate to any page in the document.

I did manage to get somewhere with this - kinda. I was testing with an old 2019 InDesign document, which I had resaved as a 2020 document. The annotation tools did not work. However a fresh 2020 document worked fine. However, having moved all my pages from a 2019 document to a new 2020 document seems to have a mixed bag of results. I ended up some pages would accept the annotations, and others wouldn't. There must be some elements within a 2019 file that just doesnt work with share and review, even if they are copied over.

If you can, maybe start fresh with a new 2020 document. Hope thats helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having this issue as well! I am using a template I created which is saved as a new Indesign document each time but I cant get the annotations to work. Even though I am saving it as a new document would it still be defined as a 2019 file? And how do I update the file to 2020 with out redoing the whole thing? Sounds like that might be the only option?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"And how do I update the file to 2020 with out redoing the whole thing?"

Hi Kirsten,

did you try an IDML roundtrip?

When in InDesign 2020: Save to IDML.

Open the IDML file with the same InDesign version and save to a new name.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that appeared to work! Thank you for providing your suggestion! I am excited to be able to share this proofing method with the rest of my team! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yass! That works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This process has not worked for me! Oddly enough, the links show up in the InDesign file, but they remain unmapped on the web portal. Apoligies if these seems like a stupid question, but does the document have to be saved on the Adobe Cloud for this to work?

Edit: After some testing, I determined that it didn't need to be in the cloud. Whatever is causing the issue has to do with the formatting of my document. Hopefully this is a glitch that's easily corrected!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same issue - trying to comment by using a pin, but the comments show as unmapped. Does it need to be saved in Adobe Cloud to work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi together,

here my take on this:

We still did not discover the real cause of the issue.

There are workarounds:

[A] Copy/paste contents to a new document.

[B] Move pages to a new document.

[C] Do an IDML roundtrip to start with a new document.

Not in all cases the workarounds had success.

I hope that the developers can tell us more.

If a document from a previous version does/should provide a "hook" for "Share for Review" but in some cases does not.

Or the wrong one perhaps. And we need to know if "Share for Review" leave traces in a document.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi All,

The issue for 'Unmapped comments on Web' has been fixed. You can now check on the web to see if the comments are appearing as you want them. 

Please note, this issue is different from the one where the comments are going unmapped in the review panel of InDesign which is still being worked upon.

Let me know if still there are issues.

Regards,

Sheena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines