• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shared Hyperlink Destinations: updating in a duplicate document?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So: I've created an InDesign document (v15.1.3) for a client, filled with hyperlinks to URLs. In most cases, I made these "Shared Hyperlink Destinations", since each one appears multiple times in the document - it reduces typos. So far, so good.

Now I have used that document - A-  as a template for a new document - B -, renaming and resaving. Right away I noticed that document B hangs when I work in the hyperlinks panel. Digging around, I see that those links preserved Document A - in other words, InDesign tries to open Document A to access the URL.

First of all, is that how it's supposed to work?
If so, is there a way to go through Document B and change the "destination document" for all links to B instead of A?
Or should I simply avoid shared hyperlink destinations when copying documents like this? I could make them all straight URLs, it's just more proofreading.

I've been manually changing the links in Document B, but InDesign doesn't make it easy.

Thanks,
David

TOPICS
How to , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Shared Hyperlink Destinations, when on, saves the URL in InDesign so you can use it in multiple InDesign documents. I prefer this to be off, since it overfills the list with old choices.

You might consider using cross-references, not hyperlinks, for links to other pages in your document.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines