Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shared Libraries Example

Guru ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Chapter 7 of the Javascript tools guide talks about using external shared libraries.

Direct access to library calls through the ExternalObject instance — Use the direct-access style

for C-language libraries. For each function defined in the C library, there is a corresponding method in

the ExternalObject object. You can pass data to these methods and receive the return value directly.

For example:

mylib = new ExternalObject ("lib:" + samplelib); // load the library

It also states

"Indirect access to library calls through JavaScript classes — Use the indirect style to access classes defined in a C++ library. For each C++ class defined in the library, a corresponding JavaScript class is automatically defined, and you can access the properties and methods through an instance of that

class."

Does anyone have a sample (source code) of an external library preferably both for direct and indirect access that can be access using the new ExternalObject ("lib:" + samplelib); method?

TIA

Trevor

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Hi Harbs

Thanks for taking a look.

That's not what I was after (I've used "ready made" libraries quite a bit)

I am looking for is how to make my own library.

So I'm looking for an example of the raw c / c++ code using in making a library.

A "Hello World" example would be great.

Hey, what a jerk, me not you I just noticed that right at the beginning of chapter 7 it says

Example code

The sample code distributed with the Adobe ExtendScript SDK includes an example that demonstrates

how write a C/C++ shared l

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the CEP for Developers docs:

The above example assumes that you have loaded the PlugPlug External Object library. In InDesign CC 2014.1/CEP 5.2, this library can be loaded using the following:

var plugplugLibrary = new ExternalObject("lib:\PlugPlugExternalObject");

In earlier versions of InDesign CC, you will have to load the PlugPlug External Object library as a file:

//Where "file" is the File object containing the library:

var plugplugLibrary = new ExternalObject("lib:" + file.fullName);

Does that answer your question?

Harbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A bit more:

Indirect access would be something like this (once the library is loaded):

var csxsEvent = new CSXSEvent();

csxsEvent.type = idSelectionChanged";

csxsEvent.data = "Selection changed!";

csxsEvent.dispatch();

This works because CSXEvent is defined as a C++ class in PlugPlug.

If there would be methods in PlugPlug, you could do something like this for direct access:

plugplugLibrary.doSomething()

HTH,

Harbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harbs

Thanks for taking a look.

That's not what I was after (I've used "ready made" libraries quite a bit)

I am looking for is how to make my own library.

So I'm looking for an example of the raw c / c++ code using in making a library.

A "Hello World" example would be great.

Hey, what a jerk, me not you I just noticed that right at the beginning of chapter 7 it says

Example code

The sample code distributed with the Adobe ExtendScript SDK includes an example that demonstrates

how write a C/C++ shared library to be integrated with JavaScript. It is in the directory:

sdkInstall/sdksamples/cpp/

The sample shows how to write a plug-in for Adobe Bridge in C/C++, using the ExternalObject

mechanism, which enables the C/C++ code to be called from the JavaScript context. Project files for

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 and XCode 2.4 are included in subfolders of

sdkInstall/sdksamples/cpp/build.

If I get stuck I'll add another post.

Thanks again,

Trevor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is the  Example code

I can't find it   in   After Effects 7.0r3 SDK\ Examples

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 19, 2019 Apr 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The ExtendScript SDK typically is a separate package.

Watch out for "basicexternalobject" in a "SDK" folder near your ExtendScript Toolkit installation.

Bridge also has a similar download at Adobe I/O Console

Looking at folder level there are already differences, maybe you get something working with a cross-breed?

Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines