• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sharing Custom Workspaces in InDesign

New Here ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone! I am training my team in InDesign and I was hoping to export a custom workspace so they can have everything automatically ready to go. Is there a way to export a cutsom workspace and share to other users/computers? Thank you!

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Here are where workspaces are stored. They are stored as XML files:

[Mac OS] Mac/Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version [number]/en_US/Workspaces

[Win 10] Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\Version [number]\en_US\Workspaces

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are where workspaces are stored. They are stored as XML files:

[Mac OS] Mac/Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version [number]/en_US/Workspaces

[Win 10] Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\Version [number]\en_US\Workspaces

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steve Werner, worded like a charm!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve. I have a sporadic / intermittent problem with my custom workspace not automatically opening when I open an existing document in which the workspace was open the last time I saved and closed the document.

How would you recommend I troubleshoot this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This explaination is not helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each application version has a folder structure where its working support files are stored.

Example: You take the custom workspace file from Version 15 folder (InDesign 2020) and copy it into the equivalent path in the Version 16 (InDesign 2021) folder. It will then appear as a custom workspace in the new version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just updated inDesign to 17.0.1
I dragged the .xml file from an earlier version of inDesign to inDesign 2022, and restarted inDesign (but did not restart my computer) and the WORKSPACE I imported is not showing up.

Please see attached screenshot below. Maybe I did it wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi macpubs,

your screenshot is showing the folder where your pre-installed workspaces are stored.

To use custom workspaces use a sub-folder in your userfolder of the InDesign preferences.

Steve gave the right path to that folder:

Mac/Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version 17.0/en_US/Workspaces

Note: Where on my German machine with my German InDesign it would be de_DE/Workspaces for example.

To navigate to that folder you could also use InDesign's Scripts panel where you can open the listed User folder of the Scripts panel in the Finder that is named Scripts. To find your personal Workspaces folder just move one step up in the folder hierarchy.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines