Sharing Files

New Here ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone, 

I've been asked to share InDesign files with a customer who is using a windows computer (I'm using a mac) - i've been told if the windows computer opens the InDesign documents, this may effect the artwork. (The customer is to make content changes and export as pdf - they will not be editing layout their end) Is this true? / how do i get arround it? 

Any help is good help. 

TOPICS
Import and export, Print, Server developers

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Adobe Community Professional , Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020
The best way to share a file with another person is to use File > Package. This collects all of the assets (images and fonts) and puts everything they need into a single, new folder. Hand off the new folder and they will have everything they need. https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/how-to/indesign-package-files-for-handoff.html    ~Barb 

translate

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shouldn't. Biggest problem is usually font sets. Limiting yourself to cross-platform OTF fonts that both of you have will make that irrelevant.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best way to share a file with another person is to use File > Package. This collects all of the assets (images and fonts) and puts everything they need into a single, new folder. Hand off the new folder and they will have everything they need.

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/how-to/indesign-package-files-for-handoff.html 

~Barb 

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who comes up with this nonsense? As mentioned the only potential issue is fonts. The only way artwork might change would be if you opened the file in a different version of InDesign. Platform is irrelevant.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines