• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Should cover and content be in the same file?

Enthusiast ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When sending magazines and books to print, should the cover and the content pages be in the dsame file, with the cover being the first pages, or the cover need to be submitted in a separate file for printing?

How does the printer know which pages are the cover?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the cover has the same format (saddle stitching) and the same color profile, you could leave the cover in the same file. If it's perfect bounding, I would recommend to give a separate file.

But my advice is: ask your printer…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There's no NEED to have it as a seperate file, no. I would, however, create sections in your document so that the cover pages are in a different numbering scheme, and your inside pages can start as page 1 on a new section. e.g. Cover (i, ii), Inside pages (1...whatever), Back Cover (iii,iv). Keeping it together is especiallly useful if you are creating a PDF of the whole document for other purposes. Just instruct your printer which pages are the cover. It's likley obvious to any printer these days, but you should always discuss the project otherwise. As mentioned, you'd be good to consider a separate file especially if the printing process, stock or binding is different. I personally go back and forth depending on the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines