• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

skew text box, keep text upright

Engaged ,
Jun 28, 2018 Jun 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working with a template developed by a colleague (who is not contactable). She used text in a text box that looks like this:

skew.PNG

I need to emulate this, but I have no idea how she achieved it. She used the slanted side of a text box to achieve sequential indentation. It's not skewed, which gives a false Italic to the text. It's not a rotated text box. How do I do this?

Thanks!

-j

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Jun 28, 2018 Jun 28, 2018

Select unselected text frame with Direct Selection tool (white arrow). Edit its shape by dragging the corners.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select unselected text frame with Direct Selection tool (white arrow). Edit its shape by dragging the corners.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is absolutely the correct answer -- but I have a follow-up question: Is there a way to do this with specific settings rather than just by eyeballing the angle? I have three text fields, all lined up. I made the adjustment by eyeballing the angles, and I THINK I got it pretty close -- but is there a setting where I can make the angle, say, 30 degrees in each case? I didn't see anything changing as I made the adjustments.

Thanks.

-j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the Measure tool and the Info panel:

InDesign CC029.png

This Help file explains how to measure angles:

Use rulers and measurement units in Adobe InDesign

Safari073.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2018 Jun 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nedlaw ,

I think there is a better way to do this exactly.

Select the rectangular text frame with the direct selection tool so that all path points are selected.

Now skew the frame by -30°. Text will not follow.

The next step would be to drag the single path point at the right more to the right to build parallel lines with the page edges.

Smart guides will help you.

ExactValues-SkewToMinus30-1.PNG

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also use the white "Direct Selection" arrow to select only the two left side anchor points at the top and the bottom. Use the proxy to determine the "rotation" point – top, center, or bottom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is even one step I can avoid by using skew.

Just select the two left path points with Direct Selection Tool and skew the selection to -30°.

Best,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops – yeah, I see I forgot to add that last step: and then use Skew with an exact number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DOH. <forehead slap>

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A more elegant (If silly) solution:

1. Skew Text Box
  2. Select text
  3. False Itallic in the opposite direction.
  4. Profit

Annotation 2020-08-11 085334(1).jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is always room for finesse. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines