Exit

Slow loading Cross-Reference Panel inDesign 14

New Here ,
Jul 30, 2019 Jul 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am running a 5K retina iMac 27inch Late 2015

I am working on a 1000+ page catalogue with many cross references. Since updating to inDesign 14, the cross-references panel is taking a very long time to load. The amount of time it takes to load depends on the size of the document in the book. Some docs are only about 20 pages and there is no issue. Most of the docs are 70+ pages and the cross ref panel takes around 15 seconds to load. The larger ones of 100+ pages takes over 30 seconds to load the cross ref panel. I had absolutely no issues with the old version of indesign.

These are some of the things I have tried to fix it:

- Having all the documents in the Book open all at once

- Re-installing a fresh version of inDesign

- Trying another Mac to see if it was an issue with the computer

- and finally (and more drastically) re-formatiing my Mac and again re-installing inDesign.

So far, nothing has worked.

Anyone else have these problems or better still, anyone have a fix?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2019 Jul 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beyond experimenting with resetting preferences, the feature known as cross-references is problematic and slow for many.

You might try this technique:

https://indesignsecrets.com/converting-cross-references-text-and-retaining-info.php

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2019 Jul 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that Mike. The article shows how to convert the references to text. I need to keep the references as products and pages are moving around within my artwork as the project develops. The problem I have is the panel taking an unreasonable amount of time to open when I click 'insert cross reference'.

Thanks anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really a "fix", but I've found that copy-pasting an existing cross reference and editing it bypasses the long load 99% of the time.

I suspect that the default settings for creating a new cross reference is poorly optimized in some way, and trying to load all references at once is what is causing the slowdown. I too have a 1000+ page catalogue with many cross references, and have seen upwards of 10 minute waits to load the cross reference panel when creating a new reference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Big thanks for this one!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe should stop denying and just fix this nuisance. What a load of ... it drives me so mad losing all that time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am having the same issues today. takes me more than 10 minutes to load. Dividing the book into half lessen the load time. Even saved the file to IDML and resaved it again to INDD back again still the same. Im glad this is not a deadline at work. But still driving me crazy. Hope you guys find a solution. I am using the latest 2023 Indesign by the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines