Highlighted

Slow Response in Exported PDF

Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am composing a book that will be available in PDF and eBook formats. As you can see from a sample of the book in the attached file, the exported PDF scrolls smoothly through the pages which have only text. However, scrolling starts to lag once the pages with intricate designs are reached.

I have tried compressing the background designs into smaller PDF sizes before incorporating them into the InDesign document. But this obviously did not work.

I am wondering if anyone might know of a potential way to keep the quality of the background design but allow the exported PDF to be lag-free. I ask since most of the book is composed of those sayings with intricate background designs, and I do not want the reader to experience lag while trying to scroll through the whole book.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Laubender | Adobe Community Professional

Hi apinhas,

if you like a version of your PDF for screen viewing, only:

You could render the background as highres image, 600ppi or more, instead of leaving it as complex vector information with transparency applied.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

TOPICS
EPUB, How to, Import and export, Performance, Publish online, Scripting, Server developers

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Slow Response in Exported PDF

Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am composing a book that will be available in PDF and eBook formats. As you can see from a sample of the book in the attached file, the exported PDF scrolls smoothly through the pages which have only text. However, scrolling starts to lag once the pages with intricate designs are reached.

I have tried compressing the background designs into smaller PDF sizes before incorporating them into the InDesign document. But this obviously did not work.

I am wondering if anyone might know of a potential way to keep the quality of the background design but allow the exported PDF to be lag-free. I ask since most of the book is composed of those sayings with intricate background designs, and I do not want the reader to experience lag while trying to scroll through the whole book.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Laubender | Adobe Community Professional

Hi apinhas,

You could render the background as highres image, 600ppi or more, instead of leaving it as complex vector information with transparency applied.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

TOPICS
EPUB, How to, Import and export, Performance, Publish online, Scripting, Server developers

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 20, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi apinhas,

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 20, 2020 2
apinhas LATEST
Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the help, Uwe.

I exported a sample PDF with the background designs as .jpgs at 300 ppi, since there does not seem to be a way to specifiy in InDesign that the photograph .jpgs be 300 ppi and the background .jpgs be a different ppi (600). However, it flows much more smoothly when I scroll through now.

Thank you once again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 20, 2020 0