I had a serious problem with Indesign export and I do not know how to solve it nor how to reproduce it, which makes it all the more worrisome.
The PDF file I exported and sent to my client has lost all the small-caps in Adobe Garamond Pro Italics font. They are present in the Indesign file, I do not have any font problem and when I redo the export, everything works just fine. How can this happen and how can I be sure that it won't happen again?
(I am working in Indesign 2021 version 16.2.1, the problem appeared when I exported my indb file (it is a book of 7 indd files, making a total of about 800 pages).
Thank you very much for your help
Thank you very much for your response, Eric!
When I retry to do the export with the same parameters, the small-caps are there. I don't understand what could have happened.
Thank you again for your help!
When you choose the small caps feature in an open type font, InDesign substitutes the glyph for the small cap version - rather than using the preferences for the small caps set in InDesign>Preferences.
On export to PDF it might be better to choose Create a Tagged PDF which might be an option to help PDF readers understand what glyph to display.
I wonder what PDF viewer it is missing in - are you both using Acrobat? Or another PDF reader, like Mac Preview or Foxit Reader etc.
I've noticed a lot - especially with Word - that copying and pasting, importing or anything like that tends to have issues, I often have characters go completely missing, from hyphens, to spaces to a multitude of things.
Check to make sure that no Microsoft styles came in - check your paragraph and character styles (especially character styles) to ensure that there are no rogue styles imported that could be causing issues.
Thank you for your response!
We both use Acrobat, yes.
Actually the issue is that neither of us could see the small-caps on one version (they just did not export), but they do export just fine now, I just want to be sure that it won't happen again.
I do not have any Word styles on these characters, I usually clear all the Word formatting. But we did do a lot of exporting due to multiple corrections asked by the client, and multiple people were working on the files.
Thank you very much and have a great day!
Here's something to try:
When exporting PDF, Export > Advanced > Subsetting Fonts Value: Set this to 0%
Note, this will include the entire character set and will create a larger file size PDF.