Highlighted

Smart Guides not working (grayed out).

Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having problems with the 'Smart Guides' option being grayed out in the 'View' - 'Grids and Guides' column. I've replaced the preferences, checked all the appropriate boxes, yet nothing I do works. Additionally, the 'Smart Guides' did work for some time. However, for reason(s) I'm unaware of, they just stopped showing up. I'm stumped. Any suggestions?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Smart Guides not working (grayed out).

Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having problems with the 'Smart Guides' option being grayed out in the 'View' - 'Grids and Guides' column. I've replaced the preferences, checked all the appropriate boxes, yet nothing I do works. Additionally, the 'Smart Guides' did work for some time. However, for reason(s) I'm unaware of, they just stopped showing up. I'm stumped. Any suggestions?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Feb 09, 2013 2
LEGEND ,
Feb 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've branched your question out of the Replace Your Prefs thread into one of its own and changed the title so more people will see it. I'm not able to make the menu item go gray here, and I'm going to presume that you followed the instructions in the other thread for trashing the prefs, so I'm not going to suggest you do that again, at least not yet.

It would help if we know your OS and version of ID (including the update patch applied).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 11, 2013 0
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having exactly the same problem. I run Win 7 64 Bit and InDesign 8.0.1

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 12, 2013 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Feb 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 12, 2013 10
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very helpful thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 04, 2017 1
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! Very helpful!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 01, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Superrrrrb! Thanks! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 01, 2020 0
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jongware, you saved my day! I had by mistake checked the "Snap to Document Grid" feature under View > Grids & Guides. This made the Smart Guides option inaccessible. I don't really see why it necessarily should, though.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 12, 2013 8
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem of "Snap to Smart Objects" is greyed out has been resolved with the above solution. Thanks.

Tip: Unselect "snap to document grid" as this featured will grey out and prevent the use of "Snap to Smart Objects"

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 02, 2013 9
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this thread - it was a one click fix to a VERY annoying problem.  I really rely on those smart guides to get things perfectly aligned.  Thanks!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 29, 2013 1
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This had been bugging me for DAYS -- just reading your post about the snap to grid saved me!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 21, 2016 1
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, this worked for me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 08, 2018 1
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS is the solution!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!! Easy fix!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 05, 2020 0
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

View --> grid& guide -->  Snap to Document Gride 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 12, 2020 0