Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Soft returns from Word document

New Here ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, first post here.. 🙂

My InDesign document doesnt seem to recognize/differentiate between soft- and hard returns 🙂

- When it comes from a Word document?

Of course i can make them manually in ID, but i would like to set it up with next styles, so everything is automated - Of someones Word document (text).

Can anyone help?

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

There are a number of ways to address this; please let me offer two of the easiest:

With experimentation: InDesign lets you set import options for how you bring Microsoft Word documents into your documents. At the bottom of the Place dialog box, you have the option to Show Import Options, as shown in the illustration below. Here you can experiment with options to change your soft returns to no returns, and when you get to the right set of options, save a preset so you don't have to experiment

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a number of ways to address this; please let me offer two of the easiest:

With experimentation: InDesign lets you set import options for how you bring Microsoft Word documents into your documents. At the bottom of the Place dialog box, you have the option to Show Import Options, as shown in the illustration below. Here you can experiment with options to change your soft returns to no returns, and when you get to the right set of options, save a preset so you don't have to experiment time and time again.

1.jpg

Without experimentation (and in my mind, the easier option): Open the file using the Windows WordPad accessory, then use the File>Save As... menu command to save it as a Rich Text Format (RTF) file. Then you can place the RTF text into InDesign without most of the formatting, but with bold, italic, underline and/or strikethrough attributes. This is my personal preference for placing MSWord text into InDesign.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You could run a find and replace to replace one or the other after you import your document

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines