Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Some Data Merge Fields Not Populating Correctly

New Here ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe friends.

I've created a data merge document to create several translations of the same poster. When I click through the previews, the first few show up correctly but then several others have issues such as populating with text from cells other than the designated cell it should be pulling from or just no text showing up at all. I've checked and double checked my source file and everything is where it should be.

Here are a few screenshots of the issue.

Data fields before being populated: Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 4.47.13 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-10 at 4.47.58 PM.png

Data fields populating correctly:

Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 4.50.36 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-10 at 4.50.42 PM.png

Data fields populating incorrectly:

Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 4.52.19 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-10 at 4.52.30 PM.png

Screenshots of source file (this is before exporting as a .txt file):

Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 4.54.38 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-10 at 4.54.52 PM.png

I really appreciate any help you can offer!

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo Amy,

es sieht ja alles soweit korrekt aus. Wenn es aber um die Funktionalität der neueren InDesign-Versionen und die Patch-Historie geht, kann ich dir auf meiner CC18 nicht helfen, wenn da etwas Programmseitig verbuggt ist.

Aber als Idee, weil ich beim DataMerge auch oft drüber stolpere, doch nochmal ein Blick in deine Quelle. Wenn ich zB längere Texte in Excel extern bekomme, nutzen User gerne den manuellen Zeilenumbruch (iwas Alt/Ctrl/Shift+Enter in Excel). Wenn. ich für InDesign die Datei anfüttere als Tabstop-getrennte Textdatei (.txt), dann verwuselt der Umbruch die Zuordnung, ab Vorkommen. So sieht das bei dir aus: erst funktionierts, dann iwann kommen Fehler.

Aber genaueres kann man aus deinem Excel-Screenshot nicht erkennne, weil besagte Fehler-Stelle nicht mit drauf ist.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-11 um 08.06.24.png
Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-11 um 08.07.23.png
Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-11 um 08.07.28.png
Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-11 um 08.07.33.png
Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-11 um 08.07.37.pngBildschirmfoto 2020-06-11 um 08.07.43.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi amy

Wie dbljan schon sagte liegt das wahrscheinlich an fehlerhaften Daten - nicht in der Excel aber in der CSV.

Wenn du auf dem Mac arbeitest versuch mal MyDataMerge. Die free Version erlaubt zwar nur 40 Datensätze aber du siehst schnell wo der Fehler liegt. 

MyDataMerge importiert sowohl Excel als auch CSV. Teste einfach beide - geht das Excel und die CSV nicht weißt du woran es liegt. 

Ps: Das Tool ist von einem deutschen kleinen Entwickler Team, recht unbekannt aber ich kenne nichts besseres zu diesem Preis Leistungsverhältnis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much! I will give it a try. We were able to discover that the issue was stemming from the German characters. (Apparently when you do a data merge some of the German characters can break up the file.) Maybe because this is a German developer it will be able to solve our problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your detailed answer! Based on your answer, we tried to separate the fields using commas before exporting as a .txt file instead (replacing all of the existing commas in the text with @@) but we didn't have any luck with that either. However, we were able to figure out that the problem is caused by the fact that some German characters break up the file for some unknown reason. We are going to try MyDataMerge, as comDesignSHi suggested. If that doesn't work, we will probably just enter in the German translations manually since our project deadline is coming up soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 14, 2020 Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Amy,

i found something about CSV, Excel and german umlauts. Maybe this could help you getting the csv/txt to export the right UTF.

http://www.openforis.org/support/questions/279/wrong-characters-display-when-exporting-files-to-csv-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amy,

can you make the template together with the source available through download from Dropbox or a similar service?

I think we can help, if we are able to have a look at the files.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe,

Thank you for offering your help! Unfortunately, these templates are not mine to share, as they belong to the organization that I work for. We were able to discover the source of the problem though, as I mentioned to DBLjan and comDesignSHi.

I greatly appreciate your help!

Thanks,

Amy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amy,

what you can try:

Save the data source text file with UTF-16 LE using Windows Editor application.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Yes, we tried that, but unfortunately we haven't had any luck with that either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Amy,

I wouldn't do this with a CSV file as data source.

The alternative: Tab delimited text file with UTF-8 or UTF-16 LE encoding.

What should work: Open the Excel original file with Excel and copy/paste its contents to a text file ( Windows Editor ).

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines