• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Some shortcuts for Pages and Story are not working (Mac)

Enthusiast ,
Oct 16, 2019 Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody,

Since the last 2 Indesig updates, some of Pages and Story shortcuts are not working:

• First Page - Shift+Cmd+Page Up
  • Last Page - Shift+Cmd+Page Down
  • Select to beginning of story - Shift+Cmd+Home
  • Select to end of story - Shift+Cmd+End

What iv'e been done so far:

1. I tried to purge my preferences, it didn't help. I even removed them manualy, didn't help.
  2. I checked that the shortcuts exist in the shortcuts list (they do).
  3. I reastarted my computer

Info:

Mac, OS Mojave 10.14.6

InDesign 14.0.3 (Middle Eastern)

(There is another post about it but for some reason I was unable to reply - no reply buttons - I was wondering why:
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2652048#11249789)

I really need this shortcuts to work, this is a disaster for me:(
Good day,

Shlomit

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 01, 2019 Dec 01, 2019

When modifier keys like Shift and Option/Alt are not working, a likely cause is a conflicting third party application/plug-in/extension. Try restarting your computer and launch InDesign before any other application (including your normal startup applications). If you find that your keyboard shortcuts are now working, then it's a third party application causing the problem. Likely candidates: Extensions and plug-ins for browsers, anti-virus applications and so on. Open your other applications one

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
Nov 29, 2019 Nov 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NO one can help? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 30, 2019 Nov 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so frustrated. 

Another thing I discovered is that I'm unable to type them in the applications keyboard shortcuts.

My keybored keys are working, none of them is broken. When I delete the defult shortcut, I'm unable to retype it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 01, 2019 Dec 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When modifier keys like Shift and Option/Alt are not working, a likely cause is a conflicting third party application/plug-in/extension. Try restarting your computer and launch InDesign before any other application (including your normal startup applications). If you find that your keyboard shortcuts are now working, then it's a third party application causing the problem. Likely candidates: Extensions and plug-ins for browsers, anti-virus applications and so on. Open your other applications one-by-one to see which is the culprit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those key combos work fine on my (old, so very old ...) Mac so it just may be because newer versions of Mac OS X reserve more and more key combinations for the system. And these take precedence over everything else.

Shlomit, check your System Preferences; there should be a list of 'reserved' shortcut keys somewhere, and it's possible your Page Up/Down etc. combo's are defined in there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Steve.

Yesterday, I looked in the mac prefs to see if there is shortcut conflict and couldn't find one.

I didn't even need to restart.

I logged out of my user and in to a "test" user and opened InDesign. The shortcuts were working again.

It was "Opera" browser that caused the conflict, but when I looked in it's prefs for the same shortcut like in InDesign, I could not find one. I will just stop using it, anyway I think it will discontiued (maybe I'm wrong).

Thank you again,

Shlomit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try to solve this by taking Ownerhip of your Machine. I faced this same problem, but taking ownership of my machiene, solved this problem for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even though you're writing perfectly normal English words, I don't understand what you mean by "taking ownership of your machine." Can you explain what that means to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry, I should have been more specific, "by taking ownership" I meant to say that try to solve this problem by taking ownership of the destination folder,etc where the file is meant to be saved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 08, 2019 Dec 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Which file? i'm not trying to save any file. I had a problem with keyboard shortcuts...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... also, I found out that when i removed my exernal storage devices (pendrive and external HD), which I had plugged in at the time I was using Photoshop, it helped out. I could not even eject my Pendrive, since it seems that some other program was using it. But I took out anyway and now Photoshop is working well.  I'he never encounterd such a problem in my life, and I use Photoshop regularly. (if it's worth mentioning, I encountered this problem in my newly built PC, Windows 7 64 Bit).  And the "taking ownership" seems to work out, but only temporarily.

And sorry for making your brains hurt previously, with my unwitting reply to the problem.  I was just trying to input a possible solution to the problem, which I was facing at 3 AM in the morning.

So, sorry AGAIN.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines