Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

something going wrong with text variable

Explorer ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm designing the lay out for a book and set a text variable to match the current chapter number and chapter title. Now for the first chapter that works, but the second is not working out; it doesn't change to the second chapter and instead it keeps displaying the first. The style of the chapter title is the same as the first.

See added screenshots. What am I doing wrong?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you done a Save-As and possibly adjusted the zoom view to provoke it to update? How did you setup the variable in question?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chapter variables only work in Book Files. 

You need to have each chapter as an individual file - then compile the chapters in the File>New Book panel.

If you don't want to do this you need to work using Section Numbers.

https://helpx.adobe.com/au/indesign/using/numbering-pages-chapters-sections.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah, thank you. That works.

I someone else is running into this issue as well, I found a tutorial that will be helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7FY2vpYXqU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines