Highlighted

Spacebar to toggle Hand Tool is not working (CS5)

Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In InDesign, using the spacebar to toggle the Hand Tool stops working.

When it stops working in InDesign, it also stops in Photoshop and Illustrator.

If I close the applications, and restart the machine - this combination starts working again, however after a while it stops working again.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated - you don't realize how much you use this 'til it goes away!

Matt

===============================

iMac 27" / 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7

8 GB Ram

OS X 10.6.5

It's because most browsers reserve the spacebar as a page down shortcut key.

Regards,

Pariah Burke

http://iamPariah.com <http://iampariah.com/> • 503.422.7499 • @iamPariah

<http://twitter.com/#!/@iamPariah> • https://www.facebook.com/PariahSBurke

Consulting & Training: ePublishing, Digital Publishing, Creative Workflows,

Creative Software

Informing & Empowering Creative Professionals.™

On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 10:14 AM, Steve Werner <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Spacebar to toggle Hand Tool is not working (CS5)

Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In InDesign, using the spacebar to toggle the Hand Tool stops working.

When it stops working in InDesign, it also stops in Photoshop and Illustrator.

If I close the applications, and restart the machine - this combination starts working again, however after a while it stops working again.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated - you don't realize how much you use this 'til it goes away!

Matt

===============================

iMac 27" / 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7

8 GB Ram

OS X 10.6.5

It's because most browsers reserve the spacebar as a page down shortcut key.

Regards,

Pariah Burke

http://iamPariah.com <http://iampariah.com/> • 503.422.7499 • @iamPariah

<http://twitter.com/#!/@iamPariah> • https://www.facebook.com/PariahSBurke

Consulting & Training: ePublishing, Digital Publishing, Creative Workflows,

Creative Software

Informing & Empowering Creative Professionals.™

On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 10:14 AM, Steve Werner <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 16, 2010 0
Advisor ,
Dec 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if you tap the Escape key first? Does that work?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 16, 2010 0
Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried the [ESC] key, same thing - still doesn't work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 16, 2010 0
Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed if I quit Google Chrome - it starts working again.

huh?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 16, 2010 4
Enthusiast ,
Dec 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chrome must claim the space bar for some function or other.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 16, 2010 0
Explorer ,
May 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too. Spacebar works again after quitting Chrome.

Man, Chrome, between this and your flash issues, I think it's time we go our separate ways.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 17, 2011 3
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Just upgraded to macOS Sierra and I was having the same issue with the hand tool and magnifying glass. Turned off Chrome and everything is back to normal. It was driving me crazy!!

THANKS AGAIN!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2016 0
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Have just experienced the same problem myself - only I wasnt running Chrome. However, I was running Firefox - which had a MS Silverlight page loaded (may or may not be related) - and on quitting Firefox, the problem solved itself again. So seems it may not just be related to Chrome, but it does suggest some web technology interfering with the way InDesign interprets the space bar trigger.

Just my two penneth worth!

Miles

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 06, 2011 0
LEGEND ,
Jun 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest you try changing tabs in Firefox. The last time I tried to reproduce this problem I couldn't, but if you have a good reproducible test case you should file a Firefox/buzilla bug...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 06, 2011 0
Explorer ,
Jul 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same situation -- Chrome causing the problem. Quitting Chrome solves the problem every time -- I've done it dozens of times now to solve the problem across PS, AI and InDesign.

Not sure if this is the case for anyone else -- but it seemed to happen only when I was running sites like Gmail and Twitter that update constantly in the background. Maybe that is a connection, maybe not.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 10, 2011 1
LEGEND ,
Jul 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this is the case for anyone else -- but it seemed to happen only when I was running sites like Gmail and Twitter that update constantly in the background. Maybe that is a connection, maybe not.

That technology is called AJAX, but I don't think it is the issue.

I think the source is web sites that define modifier keys in the browser -- somehow the act of doing so causes the browser to steal some keyboard handling events that it should not, and the Adobe apps no longer receive them, or no longer receive them in the same way.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 10, 2011 0
Mentor ,
Jul 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Hawkinson wrote:

That technology is called AJAX, but I don't think it is the issue.

I think the source is web sites that define modifier keys in the browser -- somehow the act of doing so causes the browser to steal some keyboard handling events that it should not, and the Adobe apps no longer receive them, or no longer receive them in the same way.

Interesting that no OSs are mentioned. When I reported to the developer of TextExpander, a Mac keystroke macro tool, that the product stopped responding to its trigger shortcuts, the response was that some browsers caused it. Since then, I have been using Safari almost exclusively, with no recurrence. I'm not sure if newer releases of TextExpander have solved the problem, or if updated browsers no longer create it.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 11, 2011 0
LEGEND ,
Jul 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've only seen it on Macs, but I have not looked for it under Windows.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 11, 2011 0
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just found myself suffering from the same problem: I tried deleting my preferences and that did not work.

I had Dreamweaver open at the same time - once I closed Dreamweaver everything seems fine (with InDesign) - hand tool/spacebar is working again. I'm using InDesign CS5, on an iMac, OS Version 10.6.8.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 07, 2012 0