• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Spacebar to toggle Hand Tool is not working (CS5)

Participant ,
Dec 16, 2010 Dec 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In InDesign, using the spacebar to toggle the Hand Tool stops working.

When it stops working in InDesign, it also stops in Photoshop and Illustrator.

If I close the applications, and restart the machine - this combination starts working again, however after a while it stops working again.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated - you don't realize how much you use this 'til it goes away!

Matt

===============================

iMac 27" / 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7

8 GB Ram

OS X 10.6.5

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 16, 2015 Jul 16, 2015

It's because most browsers reserve the spacebar as a page down shortcut key.

Regards,

Pariah Burke

http://iamPariah.com <http://iampariah.com/> • 503.422.7499 • @iamPariah

<http://twitter.com/#!/@iamPariah> • https://www.facebook.com/PariahSBurke

Consulting & Training: ePublishing, Digital Publishing, Creative Workflows,

Creative Software

Informing & Empowering Creative Professionals.â„¢

On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 10:14 AM, Steve Werner <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2014 Nov 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem but using photoshop, and suddenly no longer served the tool, I realized just installed an antivirus webroot which only called off and immediately run back the to handle.

Therefore I recommend that deactives any protective software. I hope you can solve soon.

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 05, 2015 Jan 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ocassionally have the same problem with the spacebar not operating the handtool when using Photoshop CC 2014 with Safari running.
I just quit Safari and re-open it and the spacebar/handtool function works as it should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2015 Mar 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My issue as well...
Hand Tool (spacebar) stopped working suddenly in Adobe CC 2014 (PhotoShop, InDesign, Illustrator). Over two days I tested (by closing programs and seeing).
Safari (for me) was the culprit. As soon as I quit Safari... the hand tool (via spacebar) came back just fine.
I just now re-opened Safari and it's still working fine (at the moment — give it some time )

-M@tt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 13, 2015 May 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, ThinkMattClark! Safari was the problem for me too.

I am running:

OS 10.9.4

InDesign CS6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2015 Jan 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so I think I might be able to help. I'm not a tech expert, but I had this issue today. It only started happening after I had an new hard drive put in, at which point a new internet security program was installed on my computer. Before this program was on my machine, this "temporary hand tool with the use of the space bar in Adobe CS products not working" problem did not occur. So, I figured it had to do with upgrading from OS 10.6 to OS 10.7 or with Webroot {the internet security program}, since those were really the only things that changed from pre- hard drive crash to post- hard drive crash. When I was poking around Webroot, I noticed there was a "Pause Secure Keyboard Entry" button to choose. Seeing that word "keyboard" was the lightbulb moment. Coupled with the comment above from Larry G. Schneider...

It's a Mac OS security bit which blocks the modifier keys from working if there is an open port which has access. It's supposed to prevent malware from executing system events.

I figured that my Webroot {which is meant to prevent malware and such} was overriding certain keyboard functions to prevent malware from detecting my keyed entries in place that could breech security on my machine.

So, I decided to try turning that pause button on... and sure enough, my temporary space bar hand tool came back. That is the only thing that worked. Not quitting out of Chrome. I suspect the reason for that is because Webroot was still operating outside of my Chrome application being open and active. So, for those who were able to get it to work again by quitting Chrome {or Safari, Firefox, etc... any of the above mentioned}, perhaps in quitting out, it was automatically quitting some other type of security extension that is loaded in the browser that does not work independently of the browser, but only when the browser is open. Quitting the browser would quit the security extension that was preventing keystroke detection and securing keyboard entry.

Apparently, this could also be turned on in Terminal {something I discovered by researching my problem and finding an article about it}. See screen capture below.

Screen Shot 2015-01-17 at 4.59.49 PM.png

So, if it can also be turned on there, I imagine it's something that comes with several applications or extensions. If you are experiencing this problem, my suggestion is to find out if there is somewhere on your machine, in some running program, where this security is turned on, and then try turning it off to see if you got your hand tool back. It worked immediately for me after having tried many other things. This might also explain why it's only a temporary fix for some... why it returns, because the default of that program that has the security {Secure Keyboard Entry} is to be on. The nice thing about Webroot is that the button to pause it is always available up in my top menu bar by the date and time on my mac, under the Webroot icon. I can pause it whenever I'm in InDesign {which is where I was experiencing the "bug"}, and then unpause it when I'm not using InDesign to restart that added measure of security.

Hope this helps a lot of people with this issue. I don't seem to have found a solid answer on any forum, but this seems pretty thorough to me. Interested in finding out if others are helped by these same steps. I hope so. And if so, I hope that more applications will make it more obvious so that people don't have to dig around so much. For instance, it would be nice if Adobe saw it as a known and fixable issue and provided documentation about it... what to do or check if it happens to you... so that people won't have to hunt around as much as I did {although, that part was kind of fun and I felt pretty smart and accomplished afterward... even knew the fix when talking to a Geeksquad guy while he was not aware of the problem nor did he have any idea what to suggest}. For me, it was beyond frustrating, because I use that function in InDesign ALL the time. Hopefully Adobe will put something about this in their Help. Perhaps it's already there?? I just know I didn't find anyt

Anyway, just goes to show how much these forums help. Without this thread, I might not have thought twice about the "Pause Secure Keyboard Entry" button when I saw it.

Hope everyone gets a permanent solution to this problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2015 Feb 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you jorjah-b‌. This was exactly what was causing this problem for me. My IT installed Webfoot on my machine yesterday afternoon and my spacebar, shift and option keys all stopped working within Abobe CC programs. I unchecked 'Secure keyboard entry mode' and things are back to normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2015 Feb 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so glad i could help, chriss. glad someone else got this thread started and rolling so that it could help me figure it out... and thus help others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2015 Apr 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This still happens with InDesign CC 2014.1, but note that, if you launch InDesign before Chrome, InDesign maintains control over the Spacebar. Quitting and restarting Chrome if already running also works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 30, 2015 May 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this happen quite a bit for many months now. As we've learned, Chrome is usually the culprit and so I quit it first. With a lot of programs open my next guess was that it must be Safari then. Quit Safari. Nope. Then quit InDesign where the spacebar was working. NADA workeee.

OK lets quit Acrobat 'cause that app is a disaster anyway and should itself be considered Malware. Nope! Still no spacebar in AI or Photoshop! So i quit Illustrator, then Outlook then Font Xplorer and every program so it's just me and CC2014 2.2 Photoshop. Nope. NO SPACEBAR=NO ZOOMING, therefore I quit. Literally. Shuttin her down. Thanks for playing everyone.

BTW I'm running 10.10.3 on iMac 3.4GHz with plenty of RAM and the latest CC2014

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2015 May 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

infin80.com schrieb:

I've had this happen quite a bit for many months now. As we've learned, Chrome is usually the culprit and so I quit it first. With a lot of programs open my next guess was that it must be Safari then. Quit Safari. Nope. Then quit InDesign where the spacebar was working. NADA workeee.

OK lets quit Acrobat 'cause that app is a disaster anyway and should itself be considered Malware. Nope! Still no spacebar in AI or Photoshop! So i quit Illustrator, then Outlook then Font Xplorer and every program so it's just me and CC2014 2.2 Photoshop. Nope. NO SPACEBAR=NO ZOOMING, therefore I quit. Literally. Shuttin her down. Thanks for playing everyone.

BTW I'm running 10.10.3 on iMac 3.4GHz with plenty of RAM and the latest CC2014

Did you install InDesign via migration or via installer on Yosemite? Migration will not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 31, 2015 May 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually for me the issue was Photoshop that had had spacebar working and then *poof* gone. Indesign worked before and after but decided to quit it in order to get it working in Photoshop. And no, Indesign, like the other Adobe products, was installed together using Creative Cloud and purchasing the entire creative suite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2015 May 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this is the case, you should delete your preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2015 Jul 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I quit Safari, and the function came back. I'm guessing it is related to all browsers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is probably an extension in your browser that is interfering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's because most browsers reserve the spacebar as a page down shortcut key.

Regards,

Pariah Burke

http://iamPariah.com <http://iampariah.com/> • 503.422.7499 • @iamPariah

<http://twitter.com/#!/@iamPariah> • https://www.facebook.com/PariahSBurke

Consulting & Training: ePublishing, Digital Publishing, Creative Workflows,

Creative Software

Informing & Empowering Creative Professionals.â„¢

On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 10:14 AM, Steve Werner <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Can you provide a resolution here? I see this as the conflict. It has only just started working with Catalina update on Mac OS.

Many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2015 Jul 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My space bar stopped working across all Adobe apps. I quite Safari and Bingo! It worked again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2015 Aug 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Closing down the browsers did not work for me. I am on a Mac running Yosemite 10.10.4. I tried closing Chrome, Safari, and Firefox. I modified the Spotlight settings. None of that worked. When thinking about what I installed recently, I recalled that I installed Webroot SecureAnywhere. When I shut down SecureAnywhere, the hand tool shortcut with the space bar began to work immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 05, 2015 Aug 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can be hard isolating which app, or plug-in or extension is causing the problem. You just have to try things one-by-one, especially newly installed or modified software. Glad you figure it out and told us, Zac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2015 Aug 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Noticed the same problem and if while I'm holding the space bar I move the cursor it turns into a hand as soon as it moves. Goes back to previous tool after moving as well.

Using Mac Yosemite and Adobe CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2016 Jan 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem and as many others have noted, when I quit Chrome the problem goes away. What I don't see anywhere is a solution by either modifying Chrome or InDesign. Any suggestions directly from Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should note also, that this is very recent (last month or so) so it has never been a problem before. Has something changed in Chrome during that time that is causing the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you add any new Chrome plugins?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. Nothing new. I guess I might disable all I can and see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2016 Jan 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no trouble reproducing this bug.  Whenever I log into LastPass using the extension in Chrome on either of my Macs, the hand tool (hold spacebar) in all of my Adobe apps stops working. I have to quit Chrome and restart Photoshop and Illustrator. I have tried turning off all extensions in Chrome and running just LastPass. I've even tried deleting and reinstalling the very latest version of Chrome. It doesn't happen when I log into Safari's LastPass extension, just Chrome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines