• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Spacebar to toggle Hand Tool is not working (CS5)

Participant ,
Dec 16, 2010 Dec 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In InDesign, using the spacebar to toggle the Hand Tool stops working.

When it stops working in InDesign, it also stops in Photoshop and Illustrator.

If I close the applications, and restart the machine - this combination starts working again, however after a while it stops working again.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated - you don't realize how much you use this 'til it goes away!

Matt

===============================

iMac 27" / 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7

8 GB Ram

OS X 10.6.5

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 16, 2015 Jul 16, 2015

It's because most browsers reserve the spacebar as a page down shortcut key.

Regards,

Pariah Burke

http://iamPariah.com <http://iampariah.com/> • 503.422.7499 • @iamPariah

<http://twitter.com/#!/@iamPariah> • https://www.facebook.com/PariahSBurke

Consulting & Training: ePublishing, Digital Publishing, Creative Workflows,

Creative Software

Informing & Empowering Creative Professionals.â„¢

On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 10:14 AM, Steve Werner <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2016 Jan 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think LastPass may be part of the problem, but I am not convinced it is all. Before even seeing this post I disabled all extensions to see if the problem persisted. It did not but returned when I enabled LasPass. However I disabled to test further and the grabber hand returned. However, the grabber hand stayed even when I re-enabled LastPass. I haven't tested it with Safari or Firefox yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2016 Feb 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is a first time occurrence for me, and googling the issue today brought me to this thread. I've been using Google Chrome (gmail etc) and Adobe CC products (mac OS X) basically for the last year, and I have never had this happen to me before. but it was sure nice to see there was a fix/bug and I didn't have to suffer any longer... those damn shortcuts are my life!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2016 Feb 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Antivirus and web browsers may be the cause of problems in Adobe software. I have experienced both Firefox and Chrome affecting it, and by simply quitting any web browser everything becomes normal again.

In my last case, it was antivirus software called Webroot that prohibited shortcut functions. From the program's settings, I disabled the 'Secure keyboard entry mode', and everything went back to normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2016 Feb 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lastpass (which I believe is password software) definitely seems to create a problem in InDesign. See the end of this parallel discussion thread:

InDesign CC 2014 Keyboard Shortcuts Not Working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2016 Feb 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I worked out there's no need to even quit Chrome. Can be fixed by just clicking on the Lastpass extension icon and clicking back out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2016 Feb 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean going into settings/extensions in Chrome clicking on it there, or up at the top of a mac where you have your icons for apps running in the background?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2016 Feb 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, the Lastpass icon in the chrome browser itself. Click once for the LP dropdown and click again to close it. This should give Indesign etc back control of space & shortcuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2016 Feb 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Until there is a true fix, that is pretty painless. Thanks for passing that along.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2016 Feb 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The strangest "bug" I've seen...

But the solution via Terminal save my day with a client!

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2016 Mar 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just click back in the LastPass username field after entering my password and then click Login. That release the secure password field from hiding keystrokes from other applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2016 Apr 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our IT dept had installed Webroot SecureAnywhere. This was the culprit of all our woes re missing shortcut functions.

I clicked 'Pause Secure Keyboard Entry' within Webroot and restarted both Photoshop and Indesign. Everything working again!!! Yay!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2016 Sep 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, working again after quitting KeePassX.

Always the same problem, different app

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2017 Jul 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hold down ALT + Spacebar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello, i have been experiencing this same issue in inDesign, Photoshop AND Illustrator...

I've tried quitting Safari, but no change

I quit all the Adobe apps, then launched again, no change

I'm running CC2019 on a MacBook Pro, Mojave 10.14.5

I don't run Chrome or FF

I use Safari

so far, the problem seems to be random... it was working all day for me...and just stopped working just now....in both inDesign and PS at the same time...i haven't been able to force it to toggle back on...Safari only has 1 window open...this forum... i'm not running twitter, paypall or gmail....

this is a frustrating problem because i use the spacebar/Hand tool ALL THE TIME in all my Adobe Apps...

PLEASE HELP!!!

this is an update... i haven't turned my laptop off... rebooted...nothing...

i've been up all night....

suddenly, the spacebar/hand tool shortcut is working!!! don't ask me how... i didn't do anything...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 08, 2019 Aug 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sarah,

We are glad to hear that you are all set. It might be possible that the spacebar itself was not working or stuck for a while. In some senerios, this issue was seen on systems where the wacom tablet and pen are connected. I am not sure if this is the same case. Just in case you have Wacom connected to your system, please update the driver from Wacom's website( Drivers | Wacom ).

Please feel free to update the discussion if you need any further assistance.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still a problem in the latest version of InDesign 2020. Why isn't this resolved on the software side yet? InDesign is unusable with either Chrome or Firefox in the background. This is crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2020 May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem, the only way to get around it is a complete restart of my Macbook. It happens pretty quick too, the space bar will become inoporable within InDesign after a few hours, with no specific pattern visible. Quiting my web browser (Chrome) does not rectify the issue, only a complete system restart. Incredibly frustrating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue –out of the blue– hand tool and zoom tool shortcuts not working! Very frustrating, shut down all programs and browsers, no change, doing a full reboot next as suggested by some in here - hopefully that solves it! I don't use Chrome, rarely use Firefox, mostly Safari. No Wacom tablet or pen in use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Full reboot did the trick! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, everything was fine, but in the last day, the hand tool just won't work in IND 2020, even with multiple restarts and shutdowns. On top of that, the Shift button no longer is functioning either, keeping movements at 0, 45, 90 degrees etc. This is ridiculous. What's the fix @adobe???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Confirming I'm still having the same problem where the spacebar shorcut for the hand tool stopped working for no reason. Quitting Chrome (or all browsers), rebooting several times deleting preferences all fail to solve the issue. I'm in InDesign 15.1.2 on OS X 10.15.6.

Thank you.

-michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

STILL AN ISSUE in 2021!!!

FIX THIS, ADOBE!!!

Tired of this crap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines