• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Spacing before and after images in book function

Participant ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to get space before and after my images in a way that will let me easily standardize throughout the book. My idea was to set up a paragraph style specifically for images/graphics and use that for all images. I have tried this and adjusted the "space before" and "space after" to several millimeters.

Unfortunately the image then immediately jumps to the top of the page. I'm aware this is probably very basic, but I think I have the right approach but with some detail missing.

First a screenshot with the image set to the same paragraph style as the text on the rest of the page and then one with the new paragraph style:

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

This is a known bug in InDesign. Been there since the beginning.

The anchor must always be before/above the actual graphic with the text wrap.

You can help get this bug fixed by voting for the feature at https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/34501540-anchored-objects-need-be-able-to-apply-a-text-wrap

VOTE VOTE VOTE!

Tell all your InDesign colleagues to vote for it.

Tell you mom to vote for it. The cat, dog, pet parakeet.

We need hundreds more

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're need to add to the image some text wrap (CTRL+ALT+W) and then paste as anchored object and then play with anchored object settings to set as you need. 

See the video about anchored objects - 

https://youtu.be/FrYWDe2yVUw

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have now gone through the text wrap options quite a few times and have not found a solution. What I'm looking for is simply to have a standardized space before and after all images looking similar to having a blank line in a textbook.

When I use the "wrap around bounding box" setting the images are not removed further from the text since the frame goes on top of the text.

The essential thing for me here is to set a standard so I can apply it throughout the book. That's why I was trying to do it with a paragraph style. If I can somehow make it work with Text Wrap, can those settings be saved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you watch a video-link in my previous post?

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, and what stops you to play with anchored object preferences and set image behavior as anchored object with needed settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried playing around with the settings and have not succeeded with it. That's what I tried describing in my comments to my thread here.

Therefore I'm looking answers to:
1) creating the needed space between image and text
2) setting up a solution that can be saved as a default and applied to images instead of setting the distance for each image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So to your question @Geоrge "Ok, and what stops you to play with anchored object preferences and set image behavior as anchored object with needed settings?" 
Apparently, a known issue in Indesign is what's stopping me. A shame that it took so long to figure out, but on we go. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

>> The anchor must always be before/above the actual graphic with the text wrap.

@simon5CD0 Please, pardon me. I don't found that you're try to use it anchor object not as in this quote. For me this thing was in mind automatically. And you won't never find this without "play". 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this screenshot there is a frame/text wrap setting around the image but, as one can clearly see, it goes on top of the text

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have now anchored my image in the text and the text wrap is working below the image but not above.

As can be seen in this screenshot, the wrap setting/box below the image is pushing the text down, but above the image, the wrap setting/box goes on top of the text.

Could anyone explain what setting I have wrong here?
I wanted to change the "wrap to" setting but it is greyed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a known bug in InDesign. Been there since the beginning.

The anchor must always be before/above the actual graphic with the text wrap.

You can help get this bug fixed by voting for the feature at https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/34501540-an...

VOTE VOTE VOTE!

Tell all your InDesign colleagues to vote for it.

Tell you mom to vote for it. The cat, dog, pet parakeet.

We need hundreds more votes for Adobe to take notice and put this fix on their to-do list.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines