• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Specific InDesign file causes application crash

New Here ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My computer froze up and I had to restart. When I did the attached InDesign file got damaged and will no longer open, causing my computer to crash. I can open all other InDesign files I've tried to open just fine. HELP!!! I don't want to have to recreate this from scratch. I have no backups and no other versions. Yes, I'm a pea brain. I know. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Thanks for giving it a shot. I did send the file to Adobe and they said it was damaged beyond repair. Funny thing is, though, that I asked a colleague at work to try and open it and she was able to open it and recover the file. So all's good now. Computers are weird animals.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi LesThomas,

hard to believe that you do not have any backup of this document. Still hope, you do.

I checked the history of the document by using a script by Werner Perplies* and found that the document was saved the first time with InDesign CC 2017 version 12.0.0.81 on Windows 7.

Well, I tried to open the document with InDesign 2020 version 15.1.0.25 on Windows 10, but InDesign crashed:

1-OpenDocWith-INDD-2020.PNG

2-InDesign-CRASHED.PNG

Also had a crash with the option: Original instead of Normal.

With the option As Copy ( "Kopie" in my German version ) there was no crash, but the following error message:

"The file is damaged etc.pp."

6-OpenDocAsCopyWith-INDD-2020-Message.PNG

Best send the document by mail to idfile@adobe.com , describe the issue and also tell what you did the last time you worked with the document.

Also see into this:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/troubleshoot-file-issues.html#damaged_file

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

* Free WpsIndFileIdentifier.jsx at https://weepee.de/forum/indesign/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=107

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for giving it a shot. I did send the file to Adobe and they said it was damaged beyond repair. Funny thing is, though, that I asked a colleague at work to try and open it and she was able to open it and recover the file. So all's good now. Computers are weird animals.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Aha! Did she do it with a Mac OS X version of InDesign 2020 ?

And if yes what was the option she had success with? Normal? Original? As Copy?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines