Highlighted

Spell Check does not work after installing InDesign 15.0.2

Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: InDesign CC 2019

Spell check is not working. I have read numerous forum posts and this appears to have been an issue for many for years. I don't know what else to check. I do think a picture is worth a thousand words … or in this case a single "word"

As you can see below, "word" is an unknown word with no suggestions.

Screenshot 2019-02-01 16.49.19.png

{Renamed by MOD}

Hi All,

Sorry about the trouble this issue has caused. We've fixed this in the latest release. Please update your InDesign to v15.0.3 to get this fixed.

Here's a link with more details: https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180/suggestions/39843622

Regards,

Srishti

TOPICS
Bug, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Spell Check does not work after installing InDesign 15.0.2

Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: InDesign CC 2019

Spell check is not working. I have read numerous forum posts and this appears to have been an issue for many for years. I don't know what else to check. I do think a picture is worth a thousand words … or in this case a single "word"

As you can see below, "word" is an unknown word with no suggestions.

Screenshot 2019-02-01 16.49.19.png

{Renamed by MOD}

Hi All,

Sorry about the trouble this issue has caused. We've fixed this in the latest release. Please update your InDesign to v15.0.3 to get this fixed.

Here's a link with more details: https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180/suggestions/39843622

Regards,

Srishti

TOPICS
Bug, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Feb 01, 2019 2
103 Replies 103
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are extremely sorry to hear about this issue. I would request if you can share a few more details like:

• Operating System(Exact version of Windows/MAC)
  • Is it happening with a particular file or all the files?

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 05, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Character panel, when the word "word" is highlighted, what language does the Character panel say is applied?

Mike Witherell

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 05, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi srishtib8795206 and Mike Witherell​,

Thank you both for responding, after I posted my question, I kept digging for the answer and finally discovered that when I updated to CC 2019, the PREFERENCES–DICTIONARY–SPELLING drop-down was somehow set on USER DICTIONARY ONLY. Not sure how that happened but changing it to HUNSPELL of course resolved my issue.

I appreciate you stepping in to help.

Best,

V

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 05, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since running your update today, my spell checker has stopped working.

Any idea as to what I can do about it?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 02, 2020 0
Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell us what operating system (exactly) you're running. What happens when you attempt to check spelling? Does it happen with one file or all files?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 02, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Steve,

My macOS is Catalina – Version 10.15.3.

It dosen't seem to do it with all files... which is odd?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 02, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will we're at it Steve.

My Photoshop crashes every time I quit it.

Any ideas?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 02, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...I do 'command I' the checker comes up but it dosen't seem to work (I know there's mistakes because I put some in to test it.)Screenshot 2020-03-02 at 8.02.10 pm.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 02, 2020 0
Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 02, 2020 1
Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Naf4d:

I'm also on 10.15.3 and upgraded InDesign this morning with no apparent issues, and spell check is working as expected. Did Steve's suggestion to rebuild preferences work for you?

On that note, I'd try the same thing with Photoshop, though it's a different process. First save any custom workspaces, brushes, presets, etc and use Photoshop > Preferences > General > Reset Preferences on Quit.

Let us know if this takes care of one, the other or both apps.

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 02, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Barb,

I've tried your (and Steve's) fixes with Photoshop with no luck – still crashes every time I quit.

I've got a number of third-party brushes installed and one extension – could it be those?

I'm a bit loathed to uninstall them all as it will take ages to find which one(s) are causing any problems.

I've found a 'work-around' with inDesign – the spell checker won't work on some older files so I've re-created them, saved them out again, and that seems to have sorted it... I'll keep an eye on that issue...

Cheers,

Naf4d

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 03, 2020 0
Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should ask in the Photoshop forum about your Photoshop issues. This forum focuses on InDesign issues.

Here's the link:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/bd-p/photoshop?page=1&sort=latest_replies&filter=all

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 03, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steve.

Will do.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 03, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Steve's suggestion I checked out the other forum and quickly found the answer: it's a problem with Extensis Suitcase Fusion auto activation – it's, apparently, getting sorted. I've had to switch it off in Suitcase for now and this stops Photoshop crashing.

Thanks for your time.

Naf

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 03, 2020 1
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue.  Suddenly InDesign isn't finding anything when I run spell check.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 03, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copy all the information out of the document and paste it into a new one.

Then check to see if the spell checker is working with the new document.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 04, 2020 0
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running the latest version of CC 15.0.2, and my spell check is not functioning. I've tried all suggestions while searching around (reset preferences, make sure language is set to English in Character panel, etc) with no solution. Attaching screenshots of the current settings. Help!

Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 11.11.26 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-03-05 at 11.12.06 AM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 05, 2020 1
Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hunspell is a better choice for dictionary. Do you paragraph styles call for English: USA?

Mike Witherell

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 05, 2020 0
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paragraph Style settings appear to be correc too:

Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 12.46.57 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 05, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem as well, but it only seems to impact files originally created in older versions. Ive tried exporting to IDML and reopening that version, but no change. Any ideas?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 06, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seem to have this version of the problem... in new documnets in 15.0.2 spell checking is fucntioning normally. But documents originally generated in previous versions – pretty much EVERY PROJECT stated before the last update... YEARS of material – absolutely non-functional. Going to spell check produces "Spell Check Complete" as shown above - and does nothing else.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 29, 2020 1
Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say it is not functioning, what exactly do you mean? The Start button won't work or it's skipping words?

If the former, have you tried rebuilding your preferences? (Try this anyway.)

If the latter, are you sure the words are not actual words, just not the ones you want?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 06, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks - it acts as if there are no errors. There are misspelt words in the selection, but pressing start does nothing. If I set it to search 'all documents' and have a file created under an older version open and a file created under the new version with the same text pasted onto it, the spell check only picks up the errors in the new document

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 06, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if I delete preferences, wont I lose all my workspace layouts etc?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 06, 2020 0
Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No--workspaces are separate from preferences.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 06, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok thanks - based on reply below I assume best to wait for the issue to be fixed instead?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 06, 2020 0
Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I may want to rethink my auto-update option! 😉

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 06, 2020 1
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OR you can change dictionary to Hunspell (with caution)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 06, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are looking into this issue. It is a known bug with 15.0.2 release of InDesign. 

you can vote for this issue at: https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/39843622-spell-check-no...

By voting, you will also get updates on the progress we make on this bug 

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 06, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok thanks, hope to hear that it is soved soon

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 06, 2020 0
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue. Hope this is addressed VERY soon. The link you've provided mentions imported text and the Italian dictionary, but the issue seems to be across the board with spellcheck not functioning.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 09, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here issue here. Same as previous, RE working with slightly older indd files. Unable to initiate a check and dynamic option doesn't recognize any errors. Thanks. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 19, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holy crap! This is precisely the Issue I've got in my studio. I this very day caught s**t ... some ... um... spirited criticism from a client for poor spell checking - and clients have NO interest in hearing about softtware that costs $636/yr to use being busted! Having to rebuild any document more than a frakking MONTH old from scratch in a new doc to enable spellcheck is a howling time waster. UNACCEPTABLE.

When I retire, I very much suspect I will be SO done with Adobe... 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 29, 2020 3
New Here ,
May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If we're going to pay you every month we expect your software to work every month. No excuses. Will you be sending us a partial refund for your partially working software?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 07, 2020 0
May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a great idea! 

Let's see, there are about 20 programs in the Cloud subscription including the font service (I rounded up to make the math similer). So at $50, that comes to about $2.50 per program. (Evenly divided--after allAdobe can't play favorites with any of its childern.) That's probably one of 100-odd featues in InDesign, so that comes to 2.5 cents for this feature. (Again, can't play favorites with features either.) I hope the check is in the mail--it will probably get there quicker than the IRS COVID check. 

(This was all in stir-crazy fun...)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 07, 2020 1
New Here ,
May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, you're right for making fun of me ... and doing it so well. I'm just crabby right now. I think this is the first problem I've ever had with Adobe software.  Ever.  It's amazing stuff that allows us to do things we never imagined possible 30 years ago.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 07, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have to basically drag all the content page by page or spread by spread to a new InDesign Document. Like we had to do to remove items from corrupted file in the good old days. I hope they get this fixed soon.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 01, 2020 0