• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Spell check in InDesign 2021 including punctuation as errors

Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing about my preferences has changed, and there's nothing in the Spelling pref panel about excluding this. It's picking up quotation marks, but also commas, etc. But not every time? So it's asking to correct silly things like "the to the. Another example: it would not let me add unvanquished to the user dictionary because it had a comma attached. 😕 There's a lot of French in this book, but the language settings are English.

I've never seen the spell check pick up punctuation with the word before? Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 3.41.45 PM.png

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Hi all,

Sorry about the trouble this issue has caused. We have been able to reproduce the issue and it is currently under investigation. 

Please upvote this issue here (https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180/suggestions/41795086) and stay tuned for updates.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: This is still happening. I have uninstalled/reinstalled InDesign CC 2021. I have checked the language and the punctuation glyphs. Check Spelling is unusable, basically, still picking up words along with their commas and quotation marks—accepting the correction would remove the punctuation mark, and Add to Dictionary would include the punctuation mark. Really screwing up my workflow and delaying proofs. Please advise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. I tried, but couldn't replicate this behavior on my Windows 10 machine. Could you please confirm which operating system is this? 

Is the issue related to a specific document? If yes, could you please share the document with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link. 

If not, please try resetting preferences for InDesign (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/user-guide.html/in/indesign/using/setting-preferences.ug.html) a... let us know how it goes. 

Please note that all the custom settings would reset too. You can also take a backup of the folders in case you want to. Location is mentioned in the article.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. 

MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.7

Adobe CC InDesign 2021

It has happened in every .indd I have tried so far. Here are more screenshots showing other marks of punctuation that get picked up by the Check Spelling feature. I'm having to review many more errors (that are not errors), having to manually alter the suggested corrections to remove the punctuation before accepting it, or even manually correct the word—which means Check Spelling runs again on the entire doc instead of the point I'd reached.

Parenthesis, em dash, comma. The pattern seems to be it picks up mostly punctuation attached to the end of a word, but an earlier example was an opening quotation mark too. As I said, I have already uninstalled and reinstalled from CC. 

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 9.52.43 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-10-29 at 9.53.03 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-10-29 at 9.53.24 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Srishti Bali:

For what it's worth, this is happening for me as well, and I did not migrate the old preferences. This is a new behavior in v16.

Mac OS 10.15.7

InDesign 16.0

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm. Could be a bug with the Mac OS X version of InDesign 2021.

Cannot see the issue with my Windows 10 version.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running Mojave with InDesign version 16 and am not seeing this behavior. Does dynamic spelling yield the same result? Could you do a test by creating a new blank document with some sample text examples that were problematic and see if it still happens. Trying to figure out if it's only on converted files or if it still happens with new ones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Chad Chelius. Yes. Dynamic spelling doesn't highlight the punctuation, but it is still pulling it out.

~Barb 

review.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Sorry about the trouble this issue has caused. We have been able to reproduce the issue and it is currently under investigation. 

Please upvote this issue here (https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180/suggestions/41795086) and stay tuned for updates.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Not much more to say really - Spell check is useless since the v16 update. It highlights all the words that are spelt correctly and misses the ones purposely spelt incorrectly.

Am i missing something or is this a more global issue?

Thanks in advance
W

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another user brought this up as well but I've been unable to replicate it. What OS are you running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also whilst working on the same project I have tried to create a low res pdf to send to a client - usually a very simple task but i am strugglign to get the file below 270mb

I guess the lesson to be learnt here is never update straight away - this is really screwing up my work flow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've updated my indesign software and have noticed the spell check doesn't work. It ususally picks up and tries to correct my surname and hasn't. So I deliberately misspelt a word an its not picked that up eith. Any ideas on how I can rectify it?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure of a couple of things, please:

Does your selected text have a language associated with it (see the Control panel or especially the Character panel)

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is this Hunspell, Proximity or both? Lets get that clear first...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines